• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Its the same phone

it's strictly aesthetic.

"aesthetics or esthetics n. (used with a sing. verb) The branch of philosophy that deals with the nature and expression of beauty, as in the fine."

Which is to say that some people are not going to like it. But really its not just aesthetic - it does change the function of how you interact with the phone. Every review I've seen, and when checking Blur out for myself in the store, shows Blur is still unpolished. It's better than it was before, but I just prefer Froyo without a skin on top.

This isn't an "attack" on the phone- I'm a Droid fanatic and would love to upgrade- if I didn't have to go through deleting a bunch of stuff I don't want. Like I said, I love the processor improvement.

Sure, I can get an additional paid launcher from the market, root, and delete a bunch of stuff I don't want, but then I'm getting rid of all the "improvements" that was really the point of my commenting about the post. I'm changing the function of how I deal with phone everyday, what menus I access, and how they give me my information. Its not purely looks.

Blur is okay with me, I wouldn't throw away a free phone with it, and I love Froyo- I might even feel the need to get an X or Droid 2 if they go with the tiered plans, but I would just prefer Froyo by itself now that it's matured to 2.2. No biggie if you like it, I just don't see it as an improvement that's all.

Upvote 0
Motorola should have taken the droid x and just added a keyboard to it; no more camera hump. Not a major upgrade since my droid is able to hit 1100mhz with no issues.

The phone would have been huge. They would have to find room for the 8MP camera and the HDMI output. Plus I'm sure people would rather have the soft keys as opposed to the hard ones on the Droid X.

Upvote 0
There are plenty of reasons to hate on crap like BLUR and Sense.

For one thing, it's a modification to the OS itself. This means there is an extra step between Google finishing an upgrade to release. This has proven to be an excellent way to introduce more bugs and general worthlessness into a phone (Freaking HTC delaying an update by months).

On the Droid:
Google finishes update. They forward it to Motorola for testing. Moto forwards it to VZW for testing on their end. If at any point major bugs arise they send it back to troubleshoot the problem delaying the update.

BUT, with BLUR, it's:
Google finishes update. They forward it to Motorola. Moto alters the OS with BLUR. Then they test it. Then they forward it to VZW. Then when a bug appears they have to go through one more level of debugging because yet another dev team has had their fingers in the code.

It's bad enough how much of a delay can be made just between OS>Manufacturer>Carrier (Moto 2.1 update), add in another layer like HTC does now and it delays that much more (Like it did with one of the latest Eris updates).

That crap introduces too many bugs. There's some bugs out there still unresolved that were introduced by Sense UI. If it were an optional "Skin" for the UI rather than a complete reworking of it... it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Doesn't work? Disable it in the options. But no.... HTC and Motorola want you to use YOUR phone how THEY deem fit even though you bought the device from them and own it. You're not freaking renting it.

Along that same vein, is the bootloader. Why? Why FORCE your users to use your ROM. They already paid you. They bought the hardware, they bought the software. If they want to replace the software with something custom they should be allowed to... Hell the courts just said so!! It's not like your average user is going to even make the effort to root their phone let alone install a custom ROM. It's not like you can accidentally install a ROM. They're not protecting the consumer. They're not even protecting their financial interests.... you ALREADY PAID FOR IT. So what if you don't want to use it?

/rant

Upvote 0
If they want to replace the software with something custom they should be allowed to... Hell the courts just said so!!
How do people get these interpretations? The Library of Congress made an interpretation related to the DMCA, that is all. It had nothing to do with any courts and is limited to addressing accessing the software for certain purposes not being a copyright violation. It does not say anything about any software protection not being proper or enforceable in general.

Why FORCE your users to use your ROM. They already paid you. They bought the hardware, they bought the software.
You may have bought it, but there are very few things that can be purchased without some strings attached and you probably bought it under certain terms and conditions. You also probably did not buy the phone from the manufacturer, Verizon or Best Buy or WalMart or whomever likely bought them under certain terms and conditions and may have added some of their own when they sold it to you.

Another aspect of this is that people seem to miss that a manufacturer sells you a product that is intended to be operated in a certain manner and that is what you purchase. If you consciously decide to operate it in a manner other than prescribed that is your choice but it is not the manufacturer's responsibility to support that operation or to provide a product that can operate in anything other than the intended fashion. When you buy a phone you are buying the hardware and the software (or at least use of the latter) to operate the device as intended. You can modify your phone or use it any way you want but there is no obligation for the manufacturer to provide a product that allows anything other than the intended use.

It's not like your average user is going to even make the effort to root their phone let alone install a custom ROM.
And that's exactly the point of Sense, TouchWiz, Blur, etc. With Android the manufacturers and carriers are having to balance being able to support their customers with the open concept of Android. They potentially have to support a large number of people who aren't tech savvy and most of those probably care more about the UI being pretty and easy to use than about some minor lag and similar issues. Imagine the difference between having to support something where everyone has the same UI and they all function the same versus supporting products and services where everyone may have a different UI, different software, etc. In addition, the first Android phone was introduced about 20 months ago and the first widely distributed Android phones less than a year ago, so the UIs have not had that long for further development. Not to mention that the UI developers have to work based on whatever version of Android is available during the UI development. At the same time, each manufacturer has to be careful of developing a UI that does not infringe upon any other existing UI. Given all this, Sense, Blur and TouchWiz may not be perfect but for the manufacturers and carriers have to be viewed in a 'bigger picture' sense rather than on an individual basis.

Reactions: Essex
Upvote 0
Many people are basing these comparisons on the fact that Droid 1 owners will be the only ones upgrading to the Droid 2.

The Droid 2 is launching very close to Touch Pro2 owners elegibility for Annual Upgrade. I think that will be a big market for those considering a switch to Android. I know I am (considering it).

You might want to check your source on 720p video. I don't think the Droid 2 is going to have it.

I think the droid 2 is based more towards those who want a new phone but dont want the size of the X which is why they are launching(supposedly) relatively close together

Upvote 0
I don't really see it as half-assed. It addressed people's main complaints with the original Droid. The keyboard is phenomenal and the processor is equal to that of the X. They kept the same look but has improved software.

What does the d-pad have that the directional keys don't?

I really don't see people's issue with "blur." It doesn't affect speed, seeing as the Droid 2 and posted some very nice benchmarks running their custom 2.2. The only reason I can see it bothering them is if they don't like how it looks.

They went off the fact of how well the original sold and improved what people complained about. I wish they would do this with all the phones so it would make it easier to get accessories rather then building something completely new every few months

Upvote 0
Am I the only one that wants a Faster phone? Everyone says it is not worth it to upgrade, it's the same phone... I must be the only one who thinks the D1 is slow as F*** even over clocked and running Froyo. I can't wait for the faster processor and more memory upgrade. That alone has me sold. I hope the D2 has better hardware though... Clicking screen, broken power/volume buttons is getting very old...

Just for the record. More megapixles has nothing to do with the quality of the camera. 5 is more than enough. the Marketers are doing their jobs if you are buying into all that B.S

Dx is nice too, but I think it is too big but all depends on each person. If they came out with a 4inch screen like the Samsung vibrant, I would be sold on that, awesome phone by the way. I wouldn't buy the Dx until Froyo is offered on it though. I went to try it out in the store and I thought it was very laggy. Froyo should fix that right up.

Does anyone know or has read rumors about the D2's internal memory and the pre-installed micro-SD card it will come with?

Upvote 0
Motorola should have taken the droid x and just added a keyboard to it; no more camera hump. Not a major upgrade since my droid is able to hit 1100mhz with no issues.

YES! That would have been quite a phone (or a mini netbook, haha) but still... I would have loved that! :)

I think the droid 2 is based more towards those who want a new phone but dont want the size of the X which is why they are launching(supposedly) relatively close together

I actually like the size of the X... saw it earlier today at Sam's Club; very nice and didn't seem to big by any means.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Megapixel count isn't everything. There are a lot of compact cameras where a higher megapixel count actually reduces quality. Photos become blurry because they're trying to record too much data on too small of a sensor. Granted, sample pictures from the Droid X looked great, but the Droid X might have room for a larger sensor. I'm more concerned about overall image quality than megapixel count.

There's no reason it shouldn't be able to record 720p though.

No phone (that I know of) has a lens anywhere close to as good as that of a medium quality digital camera. Also the size of the image sensor and the color rendering software has more to do with pic quality than does the pixel count. These are just superior in most dedicated cameras. Still, many times the phone is the only camera you have with you so you might as well have the best you can get.

Upvote 0
Wasn't Gingerbread intended to be a visual update to eliminate the need for companies to install custom UI's on their devices? If people already have custom roms on their phone tailoring it to the look they want, then lacking Gingerbread won't be too big of a problem for them.
The relationship of Android 3.0 and custom UIs is a touchy one. Apparently Google wants to prohibit, or at least strongly limit, other UIs being applied while the phone manufacturers want to have control over the UI for their phones and to be able to offer unique UIs. How this might extend to third-party apps that allow you to alter the UI will be interesting to see.

There are supposedly a number of other improvements in Gingerbread including improved copy/paste, rumors of an Android music store, support for higher resolution displays and so on.

Upvote 0

If they had done that, I wouldn't have the "X" now. I don't want a physical keyboard and the size and weight that comes along with it.

Granted, the "X" is a bigger phone than most are used to, but I really like the 4.3in screen and I think most people, after using the "X" for a few days would agree that the phone isn't "to big". The 4.3in screen sure makes the virtual keyboard big when compared to any physical keyboard. That being said however, the "X" isn't for everyone, that's why Verizon has lots of different phones available because we all don't want the same thing.

My next phone will be 4G with Android 3.0 on it. (I hope, anyway)

Right now, I'm Patiently/Impatiently waiting for the release of Android 2.2!

Upvote 0
If they had done that, I wouldn't have the "X" now. I don't want a physical keyboard and the size and weight that comes along with it.

Granted, the "X" is a bigger phone than most are used to, but I really like the 4.3in screen and I think most people, after using the "X" for a few days would agree that the phone isn't "to big". The 4.3in screen sure makes the virtual keyboard big when compared to any physical keyboard. That being said however, the "X" isn't for everyone, that's why Verizon has lots of different phones available because we all don't want the same thing.

My next phone will be 4G with Android 3.0 on it. (I hope, anyway)

Right now, I'm Patiently/Impatiently waiting for the release of Android 2.2!

Same here... the Droid 2 will be holding me over until Q3 of 2011 when 4G phones are slated to be in mass production and 4G coverage is estimated to cover 1 billion people globally.

I will be able to upgrade once again at that time, so who knows - maybe I'll have the Droid 3 next year, haha! :)

Upvote 0
What have you found the most annoying or problematic aspects?
The stock launcher is slow. The dialer lacks T9 search. The unlock screen lags. There are numerous social networking services running in the background you can't turn off unless you root. The blur widgets are terrible.

You need to download numerous apps and or widgets to make the x function correctly. Overall the system lags at times because of all this moto blur crap running in the background.

Upvote 0
The stock launcher is slow. The dialer lacks T9 search. The unlock screen lags. There are numerous social networking services running in the background you can't turn off unless you root. The blur widgets are terrible.

You need to download numerous apps and or widgets to make the x function correctly. Overall the system lags at times because of all this moto blur crap running in the background.

I would have to respectively disagree with almost everything you have said. I think the blur widgets are fine, they might not be the prettiest but they function well enough, I literately have no lag, unlock screen is fine, the only widget I must have is Beautiful Widgets, just because I loved the HTC Sense Weather Widget.

I do agree that the stock dialer pad is missing t9, that sucks. There is an app that gives it, but I personally do not use it.

I use the stock home launcher and I seriously do not see any lag, the X has been every bit as fast as my Incredible was. Maybe you have something slowing down your phone? Maybe I am just incredibly lucky and got a better phone? I don't know, just wanted to let people know not everyone's phone is slow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones