• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's time to be good - which apps are you going to pay for?

bzzzzz

Dec 27, 2009
uk
The great thing about android is that a lot of the apps in the market are free. It's wonderful to have the opportunity to try and use so many useful/entertaining bits of software. However I also recognise that money makes the world go round and in order to support developers then those that can afford to make the contribution should do the honorable thing.

I'm just about to receive my first paycheque since the christmas holidays and I think its about time to upgrade to the paying version or donate to the developer of various apps that I've been using for about a month.

So here's my list of apps which I'm going to be giving my hard earned money to.

Robotic Guitarist - guitar app 0.99 Euro
Solo - another guitar app

I have paid for:
Nesoid - Nintendo Emulator $3.49
iLighter - Cool Virtual Lighter $0.99
Klaxon - Smart Alarm $1.99
aiFlashlight - Flashlight/Geek Toy $0.99

I paid for these apps during the first month of having the phone... Now there is not much on the market I think I would pay for.

There are allot of apps that are free that I would donate money to the developer as a option... and my donation would probably more than the asking price for most apps. Project INF Beta is a good example (AWESOME!). I would probably donate at least $20.00 to this developer if there was a donate option in the market.

Upvote 0
I find it ironic that your title is "Its time to be good" and you list "music online - music $7.99" as one you will pay for.

Good point. Most of the stuff I listen to is from dead artists so I don't feel to guilty and of the stuff I've downloaded I usually have it bought on a different format, but haven't gone through the rigmarole of converting it to mp3 and then copying it across to my phone. I will have to check if I have anything from any new artists and make a donation to those guys as well.

Upvote 0
If its a qaulity app and works well i have no problem paying for it. My most recent purchase is Aldiko ereader and its the best 2 bucks i have spent in the market.
Music on the other hand is a different story. The big music companies screwed so many people for many years and now its coming back around. The artist getting paid? Totally for it but no more money from me for the big labels.

Upvote 0
So far I've only paid for one app. I used Aldiko reader for a few weeks and loved it so I bought the Premium version for $2. As revtime said, TOTALLY WORTH IT! haha

I'm fine with paying for apps as long as they aren't too expensive. When they start nearing $5 they better be really good if I'm going to pay. Anything more than $5 and I have a hard time shelling out the dough.

Also, there are some free apps that I love that I would be willing to pay a couple dollars for, but they don't even have a paid version available. I would totally pay a dollar or two for SportsTap, Shopsavvy and Tunewiki.

Upvote 0
I personally could not live without pure grid calendar and have paid for it. Coming from a treo and then centro, I got really used to color based calendars and appointments...the stock calendar is sorely lacking in this area! The bars all the way across indicate all day events. The smaller squares tell me of appointments and depending on how far it is to the left, what time of day (am -->pm). Tapping a particular date brings me to the actual built in calendar, day view.
4310238512_2c6a56e677_o.png

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about paying for beautiful widgets.

I personally could not live without pure grid calendar and have paid for it. Coming from a treo and then centro, I got really used to color based calendars and appointments...the stock calendar is sorely lacking in this area! The bars all the way across indicate all day events. The smaller squares tell me of appointments and depending on how far it is to the left, what time of day (am -->pm). Tapping a particular date brings me to the actual built in calendar, day view.
4310238512_2c6a56e677_o.png

Those apps are awesome

Upvote 0
I have only had my Hero for a week so haven't needed to purchase an app yet. However, I am thinking of purchasing ForeFlight Weather, although I think it's overpriced: ForeFlight Weather: Android Aviation Apps

Regretfully, the "main deal" from ForeFligh, their Mobile 3.0 product(ForeFlight: iPhone software application for pilots with aviation weather, AFD, flight plan filing, METARs, TAFs and more), is only available for IPhone. I might be interested in that if it becomes available for the Android but then there are the data fees associated with this, which run to $75 per year.

I don't know of any realistic alternatives to this but would love to learn of any.

Thanks.

Mark

Upvote 0
I thought about some language packs...then I thought I could do something similar myself and I don't need it so bad.

I LOVE Fresh 1.1 and the themes, so I have donated more than most people probably pay for apps to Flipz and NOJ, but they put a lot of time into this (probably as much or at least very close to the people who make these paid apps) and don't ask for anything in return.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones