• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's with a heavy heart.....

JohnnyBravo1000

Android Expert
Jun 3, 2010
Luton
.... I think I am going to return my third HTC Desire.

It's my first dabble with Android and I like the operating system and I love the phone.

I've made no secret of the fact that my only gripe with the phone is the dust under the screen. I have had three Desires and all three have had dust under the screen upon their removal form the box. I may be the most unlucky Desire owner in the world, I may have received three phones from a dodgy batch, or I may just be guilty of scrutinising the phone too much. However, the tiny pieces of lint or particles of dust shine when in direct sunlight, even with the display on. It's possibly made worse by the fact I know they are there, and if they had accumulated over time, I would not be so bothered. However, just out of the box on a handset worth

Just return it and get it from somewhere else.

I've thought about that, mate. However, I'm with T-Mobile in the UK and the phone is an upgrade. I opted to have my upgrade(s) delivered, as you get a seven day returns policy. You don't get this if you upgrade instore - rather silly, I know!

Could it be OCD possibly?

:D

I'll openly admit that I am a little OCD. I like everything to be neat and tidy. However, while I'll openly admit to looking to ensure something is as close to "perfect" as possible, I don't think unwanted dust/lint under the screen of a

Upvote 0
That sucks, I think I'd be complaining to T-Mobile and insisting I am able to pick up stock from store rather than have it delivered so I can inspect it before taking it away.

Mobile providers seem to be very good at playing the whole "no we are not able to do that in store that we do in shops" so that they can get away with blue-murder. At the end of the day you are dealing with 1 company, there is no subsidiarys or anything (unless you are buying from CPW or P4U).

I think it's a real shame that a seemingly minor issue has put you off the handset, however I can relate as After having my HTC Hero since launch last year I just started getting dust on it before I received my HTC Desire, and HTC have offered to look at it / replace it after which I will probably then sell it.

Ben

Upvote 0
You did remove the plastic right?

:D

Yes, I did! Even I'm not that silly! :D

That sucks, I think I'd be complaining to T-Mobile and insisting I am able to pick up stock from store rather than have it delivered so I can inspect it before taking it away.

Mobile providers seem to be very good at playing the whole "no we are not able to do that in store that we do in shops" so that they can get away with blue-murder. At the end of the day you are dealing with 1 company, there is no subsidiarys or anything (unless you are buying from CPW or P4U).

I think it's a real shame that a seemingly minor issue has put you off the handset, however I can relate as After having my HTC Hero since launch last year I just started getting dust on it before I received my HTC Desire, and HTC have offered to look at it / replace it after which I will probably then sell it.

Ben

It's definitely a shame, I agree. As I said, it's the only bad thing about the phone.

I'm not sure if it's a common problem with HTC phones? I've done some research and it seems that the Desire, Hero, Nexus One, and even the Evo have all suffered from the problem.

I have been into my local T-Mobile store, and (surprise, surprise) they played dumb at first and claimed they could not see it. I'll accept that you need to look in order to notice it, but it's certainly noticeable.

Eventually the manager was honest enough to admit he could see it and said if they had any stock he would "break the rules" and replace it.

However, there is/was no guarantee that a replacement handset from the shop would be dust free. The only way I would find out if it was dust free would have been to undo the box, remove the plastic covering the screen (which wraps around the phone!) and check out the screen. I've had three Desires which have all had dust under the screen, so the fact the store only takes delivery of eight at a time means I could have wiped out his entire stock! :D

Upvote 0
Well if you get out from the shop you can check the screen and so wouldn't need the 7 day return policy right? Seems the most logical thing to do :p

Indeed it does, mate. However, I can't imagine they would be willing to let me unpack their stock, which would require the breaking of the seal and the removal of the sticky plastic which covers the screen, until I find a dust free Desire! :(

Or would they?! :thinking:

Upvote 0
Indeed it does, mate. However, I can't imagine they would be willing to let me unpack their stock, which would require the breaking of the seal and the removal of the sticky plastic which covers the screen, until I find a dust free Desire! :(

Or would they?! :thinking:

Of course they would, especially if you explain whats happened with the last 3.

When I got my Hero on an upgrade they turn it on and let me have a play around with it before i got it.

Upvote 0
Of course they would, especially if you explain whats happened with the last 3.

When I got my Hero on an upgrade they turn it on and let me have a play around with it before i got it.

I could have to give that a go then. :cool:

I think it fair enough to be annoyed about the dust, I know people who would demand a replacement if they had a dead pixel on a LCD screen of Laptop screen. I think that mostly 5 is acceptable or 1 if its dead centre.

I will say that it is not

Upvote 0
The touchwiz crap on Samsung phones is what puts me off, it's no where near what you get with HTC Sense or even motoblur. The best thing about he galaxy S is that is is very powerful with a good GPU.... Otherwise I prefer the design & build quality of HTC.

Ben

I'm not entirely sure what I make of it myself. Some aspects look nice, but there are others I am not so sure about.

I can't comment on the design and build quality as I'm yet to hold a Galaxy in my hand.

Upvote 0
Hopefully i wont get the same when i get my desire soon, it would really pee me off if i had to return 1 let alone 3, hope you decide on something soon JohnnyBravo1000

I really hope you don't suffer the same misfortune as myself a few others, mate. The Desire is a superb piece of kit and Android is a great operating system.

I'm not the type of person who is easily pleased and I strive for perfection in everything I do, ranging from competitive sport, to work and even having nice things. It speaks volumes that I have considered, and still probably am, considering the phone with the dust until something better comes along (I'll then sell the Desire and put it towards another handset) as it's that good. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, as I have said before, I agree that of all the Desires I have seen (8+) all have had at least a spec or two of very fine dust under the screen. That said... I settled on mine in the end as it is pretty much invisible except you really really Really look hard... at the end of the day... its just dust... but I agree that once u know it is there it is annoying and its ur hard earned money.

Upvote 0
I am considering keeping the Desire. I love the phone, I just don't like the dust and can't be bothered with anymore doorstep exchanges - I have a very good contract, another upgrade in 12-18 months and if I want to purchase a sim free handset at some point in the future, I am fortunate enough to have the money to do so.

T-Mobile and HTC have offered to clean the phone for me and get rid of the dust. However, I have a few questions regarding this:

Will my phone be returned in perfect condition?

Will it make any warranty invalid?

Is the screen sealed to the LCD digitiser? If so, will it be able to be re-sealed with no problems or loss of quality.

Has anybody experienced this process with either the Desire or another HTC device? If so, how was it?

I don't want to send it away to be cleaned only for them to take my phone to pieces and it be sent back with even more dust inside it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones