• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ITT: Post your Captivate's battery life

Amazing improvement of battery...may be depends on my use as well...

Its at 66%....17h 53m53s since unplugged
display..40%
cell standby....27%
phone idle....17%
power AMP....17%
WIfi...3%
Android system..3%
android OS....2%
Facebook...2%

What all i did after unplugging? I checked my tweetdeck 5-6 times, facebook was on for a long time....PowerAmp (music player ) for like 2 hrs..

Upvote 0
you all have such more time with the phone than I do..I have to ck that out.
Yesterday,I just got teh phone it was day number 2...so I have to decide to keep or toss.I do love it though.
Now,I hate the battery though.lol..I did order a charger from ebay for the car which should help (i'm in the car alot) i would order a backup battery but,I did last all day yesterday without one,and at night it was ready to die,and I plugged it in.I turn wifi off,and bluetooth,why does leaving wifi on help the battery??
I'm also turning of updates for facebook..(im sure it also drains) and no need to have FIVE pages open(3 will work) for home page lol

Upvote 0
What are people expecting of battery life? Just about everyone complains about lack thereof in the Captivate.

Can you guys say what phone you had before and how much battery you got from it? I'll start:

Dumbphone - Nokia - 5 days between charges. Rarely texted or MMS'd on it. Never surfed.

SmartPhone - WinMo - HTC - Lucky if I got 6 hours out of full charge. Used primarily for Opera Mini RSS feed and Exchange Email. Rarely surfed. IM'd and texted regularly.

SmartPhone - Android - Samsung - 13 hrs - Two widgets say I should get about 13 hours with full charge. But I surf practically all day on it on weekends and all night after I get home from work. 13 hours would be max for me. I think I usually put it on the charger after about 8hrs of continuous surfing, with about 20% left. Certainly better than from what I got from my WinMo HTC.

Upvote 0
Unplugged my phone 6 hours ago from a full charge and it just died. I had wifi, bluetooth, GPS, wireless network location all off, I was signed out of GTalk, and i barely used it at all besides sending/receiving a few text messages and one 5 minute phone call. I got the phone from someone off Craigslist. Maybe he gave me a bad battery or something. Or, there's something else using up my battery. Next time I'll start looking at my usage, though it'll be a while before I get it charged again, since microUSB cables still aren't THAT common.

Many BB's have been using microUSB's for a while. So you should be able to find them pretty easily. I bought a few MinUSB to MicroUSB adapters from Amazon for about $3 each. Well worth it. Get the ones with a little lanyard. That way you can keep it connected to the MiniUSB cord and get a 2-in-1 cord whenever you travel.

I think you may have a bad app that's draining your battery. Some of them are insidious and you can't tell from monitoring systems.

For example, I recently installed Missed Message Flasher (something like that). That night my phone drained a lot faster than normal (I use JuicePlotter to see my usage trending). As soon as I uninstalled it, drain was back to normal. During that time Missed Message Flasher did not show up as an app using cpu cycles in Watchdog. It was listed as a service, but I didn't see any active cycles.

So, some apps may defy monitoring it seems. One just has to be super observant to unusual battery drain after installing a new app.

So, I bet you have a badly coded app in your phone. Try installing Watchdog or SystemPanel to see if you can find the offending app, then uninstall that app and see if your battery life improves.

Upvote 0
I'd recommend following the calibration found in this informative thread:

Recalibrating Your Battery... - Android Forums

Seemed to improve my Captivate's stock battery. Also, I deep discharged the battery about five times when i first got it.
I did this this weekend and, so far, it's about doubled my battery life. I went 48 hours after doing this before charging. Used the GPS for about 45 minutes, lots of light use, WiFi, etc. Pretty awesome.

Upvote 0
I'd recommend following the calibration found in this informative thread:

Recalibrating Your Battery... - Android Forums

Seemed to improve my Captivate's stock battery. Also, I deep discharged the battery about five times when i first got it.

I did this about 10am today. it is over 14 hours later and my battery is at 81%. I have done little talking, little texting and Wifi is all that's on. I'm sure it would be a lot less if had been playing all day.

Upvote 0
21% unplugged for 17hrs54min6sec

cell standby 35%
voice calls 21%
myfitnesspal 18%
phone idle 10%
display 10%
android system 4%

I have a live wallpaper and it looks like I left a bunch of junk running last night. I would like to at least get 32hrs of batt life. My iPhone got a way better battery life :(
Bump charging worked great! :)

13% batt left unplugged for 2d 11h 32m 53s

voice calls 32%
standby 28%
phone idle 20%
Display 17%
Android System 2%
beautiful weather 2%

Upvote 0
I don't know what happened, but one day my Captivate's battery just started to hold a charge!

For 3 weeks I could barely make it till 4pm.
The last couple of days I can't kill it in a regular day.

I am not quite sure about these percentages everyone is posting though. Is it from the Usage screen or is it some special app that is reporting these stats?

I got 3h44m since unplugged. But I have actually been unplugged for more than 12 hours, and I am at 32% remaining.

3h44 seems like the amount of time I have actually used the phone today.

Either way I am very pleased and hope that I continue to get full days out of this battery.

What I don't understand is that if there is some sort of break in procedure, why it isn't done at the factory. I didn't return the phone and was going to put up with the terrible battery life, but many wouldn't and it is probably the number one reason people return this phone.

Upvote 0
What are people expecting of battery life? Just about everyone complains about lack thereof in the Captivate.

Can you guys say what phone you had before and how much battery you got from it? I'll start:

Dumbphone - Nokia - 5 days between charges. Rarely texted or MMS'd on it. Never surfed.

SmartPhone - WinMo - HTC - Lucky if I got 6 hours out of full charge. Used primarily for Opera Mini RSS feed and Exchange Email. Rarely surfed. IM'd and texted regularly.

SmartPhone - Android - Samsung - 13 hrs - Two widgets say I should get about 13 hours with full charge. But I surf practically all day on it on weekends and all night after I get home from work. 13 hours would be max for me. I think I usually put it on the charger after about 8hrs of continuous surfing, with about 20% left. Certainly better than from what I got from my WinMo HTC.

An update...

My bf uses his Captivate solely as a music player. I pulled the sim from it and just have it on Wifi.

I loaded PowerAmp for him as well as Battery Left to track battery and usage.

Here are the stats:

Battery = 5%
8d 8h 36m 58s since unplugged
*I never turned off the phone during all that time

Cell Standby 95%
Phone Idle 5%
Running 0.8% (maybe 2-5 hrs of music listening thru headphones)
Screen 0.1%
Wifi On 100%
Wifi Running 100%

-------------

I think that's pretty good battery life, don't you think?

Upvote 0
:(11h 27m unplugged
Battery level: 47%

Cell Standby: 48%
Display: 21%
Phone idle: 15%
Voice calls: 7%
ESPN: 4%
Android System: 2%
Android OS: 2%

Anyone have any ideas why my Cell Standby is eating the life out of my battery?

My suggestion would be take a look at your reception bars....if weak it takes more power to poll with the cell tower, thus even when not talking it's using more power. Perhaps it's weak where you sleep or work.

Upvote 0
battery remaining: 14%
time since last charge: 123 hours 17 minutes 31 seconds

If your display is only 9% of your battery drain over that time period I doubt you were on it for 6-9 hours, I don't care what battery saving app or brightness setting you are on I flat out do not believe that.

123 hours x 9% = 11 hours

I think 6-9 hours would be a pretty close estimate off the top of the head.

Just sayin' :)

Upvote 0
Today has been the best battery life on my phone...ever

16 hours since unplugged, still 76% battery left. Usually it's at about 25% after the same time.

You guys are either doing magic or not using the phone at all. I just got it last Friday and it lasts for about 10 hours, tops :(

Right now, it says:

Code:
10hm 12m, 19s since unplugged. 13% left.

Display 94% 2h 48m 28s
Cell Standby 3% 10h 12m 19s
Wi-Fi 2% 3h 29m 6s
Phone Idle 1% 7h 23m 54s

What's the use of such a beautiful screen if it is going to eat so much juice? :(

I played Angry Birds for around 20m or so. Tried playing a flash game in kongregate but that didn't take longer than 10m. A few texts, no calls today. Browsed for a while and installed a few apps. Wi-Fi was manually set to on and off throughout the day. GPS has been off all day.

I flashed Cognition 2.3b7 (froyo, no OC/UV). I did a recalibration yesterday, but I might have to do it again today because I was half asleep and I'm not sure I did it correctly. Something else that bothers me is that it takes almost 4h to fully charge.

Were you guys able to install Juice Defender. I did install it and ran the configuration, but in the log it says ERROR: AOSP helper couldn't be installed correctly. What does this mean?

Upvote 0
ok,i decided to join in.I downloaded that juice thing,but i may not need it.
I have been fine without it..
Here we go..
I am at 45 percent at 8 hrs and 37 minutes since unplugged.
the Display,which is a real neat background and not at darkest setting either.(more like middle/to high).
I use it quite often,facebook,internet,gps,etc..
I do charge it every night though,and by morning its full and it lasts.If I forgot to charge it,I do have my car charger and I leave it on once in a while.
I did discover with time its beeen working better.
I just downloaded this thing juice something,but think I am going to remove it.It is disabled and tells me to do "nothing".???

Upvote 0
I have the wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS, etc. all turned off. I run advanced task killer and kill apps after I use them. I am a very light user yet I cannot get through more than a day before I need to recharge.

My battery status is critically low (so almost 0%) and here are the stats;

21h10min since unplugged. (it was 100% when I went to bed, 70% when I woke up...no apps running)

Voice Calls - 56% (51min37sec)
Cell Standby - 14% (21h10min)
Display - 14% (40min51sec)
Phone Idle - 10% (20hr30min)
Android System - 4% (CPU Usage - 36min48sec; CPU Foreground 24sec)

Did I get a bad battery or could this be the phone software, etc.?

Upvote 0
i have 23% left

cap201012210724.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones