ive a question about the pre loaded facebook...

Last Updated:

1. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

how does the pre loaded/integrated facebook work on the hero?? should i use that and delete facebook for android that i got from the market? with the integrated app, am i always logged in? is it the same as facebook for android?
    i ask because i clicked share to share a picture and there are two facebook listings shown there. i dont like that. thank you for the insight as im new to android

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

play with both, see which one you like best :)

3. tailsthecat

sounds good in theory but i dont see a way to access facebook with the pre-loaded/integrated version.
    if anyone has answers to the questions i asked, it would be much appreciated

4. tatonka_Hero

I only answered that way because that's by far the best way to figure out what works best for you.

As for your questions, the app seems to work pretty darn good for me (although I'm on 2.1, so it might be different). I don't remember how well the integrated facebook worked on 1.5. I believe it was pretty good, and should always be logged in since it's part of Sense and syncs regularly...

5. tailsthecat

its ok, thanks. i just dont like seeing two facebook listings shown in the share pictures screen. does it load an app to click to access facebook?
    im thinking about rooting just so i can uninstall the useless sprint apps like nascar, nfl, peeps, stocks, etc., etc. its really stressing me out cause it serms to me there is no way to revert the device back to factory. everything seems user generated and unofficial. i just want to uninstall the useless sprint apps...its so frustrating

6. tatonka_Hero

regarding rooting and getting back to factory, have you read the guide in the root section? There most certainly is a way to get back to factory settings, a nice little program called RUU.

7. tailsthecat

thanks. is ruu official from htc? i have read the faq and tried to root but i didnt have the recovery image on the sd card. it told me image not found and i typed exit multiple times and quit. if only there a way to delete those useless sprint apps with ease...

8. tatonka_Hero

well, re-do it and put the recovery image on your card before starting. The RUU is about as official as you can get without actually being official (if that makes any sense lol). It literally restores your phone to out-of-the-box condition, including pre-installed apps.

When dealing with rooting/ROM's, you're not going to get anything that's totally "official", because rooting isn't supported by the companies. Everything (almost) is custom made. There's a couple of things out there, like the 2.1 leak, that's directly from sprint/htc, but isn't really "official".

9. tailsthecat

thanks again. im not interested in flashing, i just want to delete those useless sprint apps. will this benefit my device at all? and what else can i do by rooting but not flashing? thanks

10. tailsthecat

maybe ill wait a couple weeks until i get 2.1 and then ill root and delete those apps. thank you

11. tatonka_Hero

it allows you to remove those apps, as well as use some apps that can only be used with root access. Most people say they're not interested in flashing ROM's at first, but then they have to try it out, and are hooked :)

12. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

You might not be able to root after the update...just sayin

13. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Well, this may be true, but....it is unlikely that the update will be automatic, as in "pushed" to the phone, without the user having the ability to say "NO! (don't give me the latest and greatest update)". So, someone who is on the fence, could wait a few days and see what the feedback is on the Official Sprint 2.1, and if it is rootable.

Then they would have a choice, root their phone and flash a DEV's 2.1 ROM, or just decide to update the Sprint 2.1 ROM.

14. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

I think the preloaded facebook integration is just for linking contacts and uploading pics and not actually accessing the site. The picture uploaders do work a little differently for each so its worth using both of those before deciding. The market app does notifications which can be nice, but if you already have text notifications from facebook then that might be redundant too. I have the market app but I mostly just access facebook through the browser using the mobile/full site. I like the ability to choose between app/mobile site/full site because each one is better for different things.