I've finally figured it out how to use any pic as Evo wallpaper without resizing it to 960x800!!!!!!Tips

Last Updated:

1. Remixxx

Remixxx Member This Topic's Starter

So anyways I was laying on the couch trying to figure out how to use a pic I have as a wallpaper for my evo:confused:. Then it suddenly came to me...use power point:eek:. So I went to my laptop opened up power point and copy and paste the pic to it.

I change the background of the presentation cause the pic was black and I just centered it then stretched it from top to bottom then saved it on my phone.

And lo and behold it fit just perfectly and it kept the same resolution without losing any pixels! So if you wanna try it that way you can. As for the presentation on the background I just made it the same color of the background of the pic. If the color is too crazy I just made it black.

Additionally you can do the same thing with a wallpaper on your PC and just follow the same steps except stretch it until it covers the entire background presentation.

Also make sure you save it as a JPEG format too.

I hope that this helps with those that are frustrated with the crop feature on the Evo:cool:.

Let me know how it turns out for you guys...

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

So, wait a minute. You took a jpg, brought it into power point for some reason, the re-saved it as a jpg? I really dont understand why you used power point. If anything, you just lost quality because power point is NOT a photo editor.

3. Remixxx

No. Once I copied and pasted the pic I wanted into power point a presentation it becomes a power point file. That way I can tweak it anyway I want and then re-save it as a JPEG File Interchange Format and put that file on my phone. Some of the pics for example can be enlarged when u do a search for say a specific wallpaper so that you can get the highest quality for you PC.

Believe me every pic that I found or searched for is in the highest quality on my phone.

4. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

Rube Goldberg nominee.

5. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Again, if you re-save a jpg file, you compress it, making it look worse. ESPECIALLY using Power Point as a photo editor. Again, Power Point should NOT be used for a photo editor. Hell, Paint works better than that. Do yourself a favor, and look for a free photo editor.

If you enlarge a pic, you lose quality. There is NO WAY to enlarge a picture and not loose quality. The wallpaper size for the Evo is 960x480. Anything smaller than that will look bad. When looking for, or making, wallpaper for the Evo, you need to find images that are larger than that, then shrink or crop to fit the size.

Not if you are using Power Point as a photo editor.

6. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

and how is this easier/better then just resizing the picture?

7. Remixxx

Not saying this is better but every program that was recommended to me to resize pics have not been good. Whenever I put it on the phone it would still look crappy cause either it would stretch the image out over the 7 screens and wouldn't fit not the cropped square. I did it this way and it does.

I did shrink the large image to fit on the power point presentation and when I saved it as a JPEG it made the image into a 960x720 image that fits perfectly on my phone.

Again this is just an idea....

8. BobFromAccounting

BobFromAccounting Member

9. skaramanga

skaramanga Active Member

I didn't know you had to resize pics to use them as wallpapers. Doesn't the Evo just let you crop existing images to that ratio? Thats what I normally do. If I had to resize every photo, changing walls would be a major drag.

How do you go about changing your backgrounds and where did the 960x800 come from?

10. edriggers

edriggers Well-Known Member

11. Remixxx

Well the highest recommended size for wallpaper as per the wallpaper thread is 960x800. I just found that some of the programs that I've tried didn't work for me so I just tried something to me that was easier for me to do. The prob I had with the Evo crop was that some of the pics I chose for wallpapers the green box would cut off the image and just zoom in on whatever was inside the box. They way I did it allowed me to select the entire image inside the box and the image wouldn't stretch and would fit across all the screens.

Some may think the way I did it doesn't make sense or it couldn't work or whatever but I tried it and it works just fine.

12. Remixxx

13. skaramanga

skaramanga Active Member

Sorry if this sounds weird or ignorant, but why not just adjust the size of the green box? I have no problem dragging it around any image (even 2000px + wide images). You should be about to change the size and position of the green box by dragging the center and it's edges; everything but it's ratio. I hope it helps because what you are doing sounds like a lot of work :(

14. Remixxx

What you are saying isn't weird or ignorant. What I am saying is that sometimes the pic that I pick wouldnt fit completely inside the crop box even when the box is fully expanded.

15. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

Or can get download Wallpaper Set and Save from the market

16. m6284505

m6284505 Well-Known Member

If you have Photopshop or GIMP:

17. 101mph62

101mph62 Member

^^^^ when i select a pic it scrolls across all the homescreens, how do you get it to show the full pic on one homescreen instead or spreading across all of them?