• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I've got some problems with my new Galaxy S

TheKirk

Dec 5, 2010
Hey folks. I've been the happy owner of a Galaxy S for almost a week now, and in general I love it.
I do have some problems with it, though:

I've got an external 16 gb micro sd which I use for my music. But I've already experienced twice that my phone wont recognize it - It simply tells me that it's empty, even though it isn't, and even though I listened to music stored on that card earlier. I think that it happened after I rebooted my phone both times. Then, when I put the card in my computer, it won't recognize it. So somehow my phone destroys the files stored on my card :( This really sucks, especially since it takes some hours to transfer my music to the card again afer I've formatted it.

Another problem: I'm suddenly experiencing troubles connecting to my wireless network via Wi-Fi.. It constantly tries to connect, but nothing really happens. I've been able to connect before.

I also experience some lag sometimes. For instance, when I've sent an SMS, and I return to the start screen, the keyboard stays on the screen for just about a second or something like that.

The phone was running on Android 2.1 when I bought it, and the first thing I did was updating it to 2.2 via Kies, so I can't really tell if I've got some problems that wouldn't occur before the update since this is my first Android phone..

So.. What's causing these problems? Will a factory reset be necessary? If I do reset it, will it still run on Froyo, or will I have to update it again?

1.) Are you sure that your card isnt faulty (Just double checking here). Coz there is a large market of faulty memory cards generally on Ebay where these are sold and often have less memory than they are tricked to show to the user.

2.) Many people are experiencing Wifi problems after upgrading to Froyo.

If you factory rest the phone would still run on Froyo. You would lose your installed apps but the files on SD card would be kept intact.

Upvote 0
1.) Are you sure that your card isnt faulty (Just double checking here). Coz there is a large market of faulty memory cards generally on Ebay where these are sold and often have less memory than they are tricked to show to the user.

2.) Many people are experiencing Wifi problems after upgrading to Froyo.

If you factory rest the phone would still run on Froyo. You would lose your installed apps but the files on SD card would be kept intact.

1.) Well, I've been using it with no problems at all on my Nokia 5800 Xpress Music for a couple of years. It's a ScanDisc, so it's not some Asian copy crap.
I've been formatting it a couple of times since, though, so I don't know if some errors have occured on it in the meantime. But I haven't had any problems with it before I used it with the Galaxy

2.) Wow.. That sucks :(

So.. Would you recommend a reset? As I mentioned, I've only had it for less than a week, so it won't be a big problem to reinstall the apps (Except for all my 5 star games in Slice It :p )

Upvote 0
Well, I think it's a shame to upgrade to anything else than a 32 gb card, and those are still quite expensive :/

Do you think a factory reset will fix my wi-fi problem?

When you did the update to Froyo 2.2 did you do a date wipe/factory reset?
If you did, did you do it through menu>settings>privacy>factory reset, if this is how you did it, this is not the best method.

The best way to do a data wipe/factory reset is the following, turn the phone off and leave it for a couple of minuets.

What you are going to do is called the 3 button combo mode, and you are going to put the phone into recovery mode. Some phones had this disabled by samsung, if you find you can't get into recovery mode, there are several post over at XDA forum.

to get into recovery mode: press and hold the following 3 buttons, Volume up, Home key and the power button.

When you see the start up screen release the power button only.
When the phone gets to a screen with a lot of coloured text release the other 2 keys.

At the top of the screen there should be blue text, look for data wipe/factory reset.
Using the Volume up and down keys, navigate to data wpie/factory reset, then use the home key to ok the selection.

The phone will wipe all data that will have been left from 2.1.
You will need to back up all your contacts, memos ect.

This may also help with you WiFi as well.

I some times get problems with my WiFi, all I have to do is reboot my cable modem and router, make sure you leave them switched off for at least 30 seconds.
:)

Reactions: goyal.sanchit
Upvote 0
If you did, did you do it through menu>settings>privacy>factory reset, if this is how you did it, this is not the best method.

Are you sure about this? I upgraded to 2.2 around 1 week back. Before that I had read many times that factory reset is advisable and thus did the same. But nowhere was mentioned that it should be done through the recovery mode. I can do it again but it would be a shame if I had to install everything again and customize all the settings.

So just want to make sure do both the methods have of doing a factory reset have major difference? Coz I havent read that anywhere else.

Regards.

Upvote 0
Are you sure about this? I upgraded to 2.2 around 1 week back. Before that I had read many times that factory reset is advisable and thus did the same. But nowhere was mentioned that it should be done through the recovery mode. I can do it again but it would be a shame if I had to install everything again and customize all the settings.

So just want to make sure do both the methods have of doing a factory reset have major difference? Coz I havent read that anywhere else.

Regards.

Doing a data wipe/factory reset through recovery mode is the best way.
When you update your firmware, remnants of the old firmware don't get removed properly, and this can cause the phone to run slow and not work as it should.

Factory data reset through menu>settings>privacy>factory data reset, just resets the phone and doesn't remove the unwanted files left behind.

If you have any doubts head over to samsung galaxy s forum or XDA forum, there are lots of posts on these 2 forums about this.

Reactions: goyal.sanchit
Upvote 0
Factory data reset through menu>settings>privacy>factory data reset, just resets the phone and doesn't remove the unwanted files left behind.

If you have any doubts head over to samsung galaxy s forum or XDA forum, there are lots of posts on these 2 forums about this.

Ohk thanks for the info I didnt know about that. XDA is like a sea of knowledge. I always seem to be lost when I access those forums. I would take your word for it and do it via recovery mode once my exams are over! :)

Upvote 0
Ohk thanks for the info I didnt know about that. XDA is like a sea of knowledge. I always seem to be lost when I access those forums. I would take your word for it and do it via recovery mode once my exams are over! :)

It takes only a few minuets to do, plus the time to put your apps back ect.
Don't forget to back up all your contacts, memos and all important stuff you want to keep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones