• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ive had my screen on for bout 3 str8 hours....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you think so?

PS - Maybe the aight letters got too hot to type on. See? Nobuddy thinks of the obvious....

That was my first thought when I saw it.... I don't know what's the big deal about the grammar in a place like this, this isn't really a school. As for the question, you might wanna leave it off for a while, i am not sure if it affects the screen, but better safe than sorry. Hell if it was me, i would even take out the battery for a while.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
My longest is when watching the World Cup, about 2 hours. Not sure how hot it should be, but I did feel the phone being warm. :)

I have mine set to stay on while charging, and some days, I'll leave it plugged in all day so that I don't get screen-blanking issues during any critical calls.

On most of those days of 6~8 on time - the screen can stay mildly warm.

When my screen has gotten hot, it's because I've been doing stuff that pushes the processor to top speed for those hours.

The LCD panel itself should have a mean time between failure rating on the order of 10s of thousands of hours - the backlight should be good for some thousands of hours or even in 10s as well. These sort of displays are typically rated for much longer, but I've de-rated them here for conservatism and mobile use.[*]

However, when those components begin thermal conduction and in effect become heat sinks for the processor or the battery - THAT IS A PROBLEM.

I'd gladly elaborate - but only as requested. Basically - you can kill a panel with excess heat.

And - because you're interesting in other technologies such as SAMOLED, I thought I'd share this, somehow I wasn't paying attention to it.

Color e-ink is here. No backlight, very high power efficiency, the brighter the sunlight, the better it looks - the whole bit. Here's some links if you're interested.

It's very cool - just uses a form of light interference to achieve color, and 300+ dpi resolutions are possible. Right now, it seems that color saturation is a little low - but - give it time.

Qualcomm's Mirasol displays - no backlight required! Live Photo Gallery

How mirasol Displays Work: Micro-electro-mechanical Systems (MEMS) Drive IMOD Reflective Technology | mirasol

Reactions: Caloy
Upvote 0
Color e-ink is here. No backlight, very high power efficiency, the brighter the sunlight, the better it looks - the whole bit. Here's some links if you're interested.

It's very cool - just uses a form of light interference to achieve color, and 300+ dpi resolutions are possible. Right now, it seems that color saturation is a little low - but - give it time.

Qualcomm's Mirasol displays - no backlight required! Live Photo Gallery

How mirasol Displays Work: Micro-electro-mechanical Systems (MEMS) Drive IMOD Reflective Technology | mirasol

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones