5 vote(s)
  3. nah its lame, but nice work =o)

3 vote(s)
  4. you fool you've trashed it!!

5 vote(s)

Last Updated:

1. tankboyben

tankboyben New Member

yeah so ive kinda steam punked it and added a light to the trackball since there are actually soldering points located on the board in the same place as a blackberry or magic, all functionality of the device remains and whilst its not perfect, i like it allot :p

lemme know what ya think

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      File size:
      29.9 KB
    • 3.jpg
      File size:
      38 KB
    • 4.jpg
      File size:
      24.3 KB
    • 5.jpg
      File size:
      22.6 KB
    • 1.jpg
      File size:
      146 KB

2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I think it looks very nice! You most certainly did a much better job of it than I could have done. :cool:

I don't know if it's steam punk 'proper', since it doesn't look like real brass was involved :rolleyes: and I think it's the smallest ratio of steam-punk-to-actual-usefulness I've seen :p -- but then it looks like maybe that's not the style you were going for anyway, this looks more, um, modern than steam.
  3. tankboyben

tankboyben New Member

yeah ya right, i wasnt actually going for steam punk, more industrial post apocoliptic :)
  4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm comforted or freaked out by connectivity to Google services surviving the apocalypse... :eek: ;)
    But again, nice work.
  5. Jasmine254

Jasmine254 New Member

i havent seen a mod like that b4 thats awesome keep it up
  6. DanGrover

DanGrover Well-Known Member

That's fantastic, nice one!!
  7. Toasty3000

Toasty3000 Member

Wow, that's awesome! Well done!
  8. lewy

lewy New Member

Interesting!!! Nice work!!!
  9. open_source

open_source New Member

That is very awesome! Would you be able to give detailed instructions on how you disassembled the G1, soldered the LED, and replaced the trackball, as well as where to get all of the parts necessary? I'd love to have a glowing trackball on my G1. Thanks! And excellent job with the mod!
  10. tankboyben

tankboyben New Member

wow detailed instructions on taking it apart :eek:, that would take a while however the trackball light would be the easiest part to describe and you can get the trackball section off without taking the phone apart too much,
    i have to take it apart again as i wanna put a better light in it and i missed a few screws out when i put it back together :p so ill take some pics and post when i do it,
    i will also include strong warnings with the guide/pics that i hope will help you avoid some of the costly cock-ups i made when i 1st took it apart :eek:
  11. str4vag

str4vag Member

very very brave. but it looks like it payed off. looks awesome.
  12. UnderWhat?

UnderWhat? Well-Known Member

Pro job!
  13. weezy21

weezy21 Member

SICK JOB! I bet people would pay money for your work man.
  14. daleoffret

daleoffret Member

Makes me think that you have had it for years, like you bought it from a parts dealer on Tatooine. Very cool!
  15. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

That's pretty damned impressive. Nice job man, very nice job.
  16. shortee

shortee New Member

Wow, that is quite amazing!
  17. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

Hope you don't mind, but I posted your work on my site (This Mobile Life). Great job on the mod! Amazing detail!