I've rooted, but can't do a nandroid backup

Last Updated:

1. Hordriss

Hordriss Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've just rooted my 3UK Hero using the Goldcard method, as I want the 2.1 sense ROM installed onto my phone. I've loaded the 1.5 software. I've rooted using instant root - I know this much has worked as I've been able to install the apps which require root access.

I'm sure I've been following the guide to the letter (otherwise I'd never have got this far with it). However, when I start up the phone in recovery mode, I don't get the option of backup/restore.

I turn the phone back on, by holding the home and power key. After the Hero logo, I get a triangle with a '!' in and underneath that, is a little picture of a phone. So I press Home and Power again and the Android system recovery utility screen appears. I get the following options:-

reboot system now [Home+Back]
    apply sdcard:update.zip [Alt+S]
    wipe data/factory reset [Alt+W]

At the bottom of the screen is the following message:
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

This suggest I've probably screwed something up somewhere, but I have no idea what.

Any help from the experts on here would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Advertisement
  2. enzydroid

enzydroid Member

You need flashrec and a recovery image - Amon Ra 1.6.2.img I think it is. Just keep following the guide as it continues further down. Without the recovery image you won't be able to do a nandroid backup.

Copied from Just2exy's guide:

2. Copy the Amon Ra recovery image to the root of sdcard ( not in any folder )

3. Copy flashrec to the root of your sdcard

4. Install flashrec (Use a file explorer like astro)

5. Open flashrec. Then, Back up your recovery on first screen then in address bar put /sdcard/(ur amonra recoveryname with .img) and press flash. Typically it will be like this
    /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img

Go back to the guide and continue to follow it. There are a few posts underneath each other - just continue down the screen!

It does work, and the SenseHero rom is awesome - just waiting for latest update as I type!

Good luck.

Hordriss likes this.
  3. Hordriss

I had done that. Obviously got one minor step wrong, as I've just done it again and it's working now. Thanks for your help - I am now one step closer to getting this done and therefore getting to bed! lol I was determined to do this before going to sleep tonight.

4. enzydroid

enzydroid Member

Cool. Well, it hopefully won't take too long to get SenseHero up and running - be patient and let it do it's stuff!

5. Hordriss

It's flashing the SenseHero 2.1 now.

:)

6. Hordriss

Done now, it did take a helluva long time to start up and then to unlock my SIM card. I'm hoping that's just a first time boot-up thing as the time it took was worrying! Especially as I've now got to do another Nandroid backup before I update the radio!

7. enzydroid

enzydroid Member

Don't worry; it does get quicker! ;)

8. enzydroid

enzydroid Member

Have you got it sorted? There is an update available too, but you can flash this over the top as it's an incremental update.

Here's the link to the thread, but use the mirror:

http://www.htcdevscene.info/showthread.php?63-[ROM]-[24-04-10]-SenseHero-2-1-v2-Beauty-Speed-Stable-[ONLINE]/page57

9. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I think I read something about SIM locks causing problems on the first boot of sensehero v2, so you might want to disable the SIM pin the first time you boot v2.

And the first boot of any new ROM always takes unusually long :)

10. Hordriss

Yeah, I've got it all sorted. I've got SenseHero 2.1 fully working. I am going to flash Villian to see which I prefer, as I'm not overly keen on the theme of SenseHero.

I've also noticed that the button which minimized the keyboard on the stock rom has been replaced with a smiley button, which frankly is a bit annoying as I found the minimize button very useful sometimes and I have no use for a smiley button - if I want to include a smiley I'm quite capable of typing one out! Still, I'm sure the overall increase in functionality with 2.1 will override any of those minor niggles.

11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

It's not actually HTC's work that keyboard, it's a much more tweakable mod. Including the ability to swipe down on the keyboard to close it :) (You might have to enable it in the settings).