1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

I've Rooted my Revolution and have some questions

1. Craigbob

Craigbob Member

Hi All,

I'm new to Android/Rooting. I used the SOC root method to root the phone, and now I have some questions I'm sure more knowledgeable folks can answer.

First and foremost, I know a recovery is in the works/testing phase and will soon allow alternate ROMS to be loaded. Until that time, I need to know what apps/processes I can safely remove from my phone without bricking it.

I know I can and have killed Bing and BingVoice. As well as stupid apps like Blockbuster, CityID etc....

What about things like VCast Apps? Verizon Media manager? Widgets?

There seems to be a lot of processes running in the background that I have no idea what they do.

I know each phone has different bloatware, is there a list for the Revolution?

Also what is the difference between uninstalling and freezing an App? Is there a free way to freeze an app?

Thanks for any advice

Advertisement
    :
  2. nick99wj

nick99wj Well-Known Member

Here is a list over at the XDA forums, look through the whole thread though...that first one is a little too aggressive in my opinion.

[Q] What Bloatware have you frozen/uninstalled without incident? - xda-developers

Uninstalling-removes all files(like delete a file on your comp)
    Freezing- Hides the files from the phone so it can't see them just as if they were deleted. but they are still there and can be unfrozen if something goes wrong

The two apps that can freeze are: Titanium Backup(paid version), and BloatFreezer($0.99)
    Also, don't Un-Install unless you have a recovery set up because there's a chance something could glitch and mess up functionality with no way back.