• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I've rooted, ROM'd & OC'd...now what??

ckfalls

Lurker
Aug 2, 2010
Hey all,

I've recently rooted and I'm loving it. Quick background, I've recently rooted using the erisuser1 tutorial at this forum (VERY VERY helpful thank you!). I demo'd a few different ROMs, and decided I really wanted to keep some SenseUI feel, so ended up with xtrSense 4.2. It's worked really well for me, but I will be trying more in the near future (recommendations are welcome!). After the load, I've also utilized SetCPU for OC'ing, which was the main impetus for rooting. Has that ever made a difference! However, the question remains, what next? First, there are a couple things I know I want to do...

1. Remove stock apps: xtrSense did a nice job of removing a lot of bloatware from the OS, but some still remain, i.e. Amazon MP3 and teeter. It seems the xtrSense ROM included scripts for use in GScript to remove these, but I have yet to get them to work when following the steps outlined in the xtrSense post over at XDA. Has anyone had success using this method? If not, shouldn't the mere fact that I have root give me access to removing these programs via another method? What other apps/processes are used to remove stock apps once root is achieved? Any help would be awesome.

2. A2SD, C2SD & C2C: Does anyone use these processes? If so, how has it been achieved? Again, it seems the xtrSense 4.2 ROM included scripts for use in GScript to added this functionality, but I have never seen an increase in internal memory after using the scripts. I have undertaken the prereq that is partitioning my SD card, and have yet to see any success. Have others been successful using this or another process to achieve A2SD, C2SD or C2C? If so, how? Also, are there any cons to doing any of these? Any help in this regard would be MUCH appreciated.

3. What have YOU done post-root? I'm very very happy with what root, ROM and OC has done for the speed and battery life of my phone. However, I'm certain there are a million more tweaks that can be done to improve the speed and user experience of this cool little device, and I would be love to hear what others have done to further enjoy using the Droid Eris. What are your recommendations? Feel free to let me know!

Ok, any help in these areas would be really appreciated. Thanks for reading through this long post, and know that I am also happy to share any knowledge in regards to the steps I have already taken to get to this point.

Thank you!

My snarky answer to your question, "Now what?" is, "Enjoy your phone."

1. Remove stock apps: xtrSense did a nice job of removing a lot of bloatware from the OS, but some still remain, i.e. Amazon MP3 and teeter. It seems the xtrSense ROM included scripts for use in GScript to remove these, but I have yet to get them to work when following the steps outlined in the xtrSense post over at XDA. Has anyone had success using this method? If not, shouldn't the mere fact that I have root give me access to removing these programs via another method? What other apps/processes are used to remove stock apps once root is achieved? Any help would be awesome.

Try installing the app Titanium Backup from the market. In addition to letting you back up your apps and data, on a schedule if you like, so that you can easily restore them when you try a new ROM is one great thing, but another is that you can use the app to uninstall these apps that you want to lose.

2. A2SD, C2SD & C2C: Does anyone use these processes? If so, how has it been achieved? Again, it seems the xtrSense 4.2 ROM included scripts for use in GScript to added this functionality, but I have never seen an increase in internal memory after using the scripts. I have undertaken the prereq that is partitioning my SD card, and have yet to see any success. Have others been successful using this or another process to achieve A2SD, C2SD or C2C? If so, how? Also, are there any cons to doing any of these? Any help in this regard would be MUCH appreciated.

xtrSENSE is cache2cache by default - you only need that script if you want to switch it back from cache2sd. I once use apps2sd, back before there was a cache2sd, but now I no longer need to. If you run those gscripts to set up apps2sd and the restart, and you went through all of the steps to create an ext partition, then convert it to ext3, your apps will be moved to the SD card on that first restart.

Cache2sd shouldn't do much to internal memory available because, as I said, by default xtrSENSE has cache2cache set up so that memory is free from cache already. Cache2SD I think will only help you if you have an SD Card that performs memory reads as quickly as internal memory does. Otherwise, you may as well stick with cache2cache.

3. What have YOU done post-root? I'm very very happy with what root, ROM and OC has done for the speed and battery life of my phone. However, I'm certain there are a million more tweaks that can be done to improve the speed and user experience of this cool little device, and I would be love to hear what others have done to further enjoy using the Droid Eris. What are your recommendations? Feel free to let me know!

I once spent a lot of tim tweaking with different setting for SetCPU, but these days I just run the ROM stock and give you my snarky answer: Enjoy your phone. Now it works pretty well.

Play around with some other ROMs if you wish (make a Nandroid+ext of xtrSENSE first, so that you can go back), but do what I do now: unless you really hate the new ROM, don't switch to another for at least three or four days.

Upvote 0
I just did the same thing - rooted for the first time and installed xtrSENSE 4.2. I also reinstalled all of my apps from scratch rather than from backup to not bring any problems back in.

So far my phone definitely feels like it's back to being pretty usable. Everything just seems to work much smoother. Nothing ground-breaking, just seems like I always thought it should (but very rarely did).

But I was also wondering what other great and amazing options are opened up by rooting, as it is so hyped everywhere with Android.

- Are there any really cool apps that can only be installed when you have 2.1 rooted?

- Any other techniques or functions that are unlocked?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Try installing the app Titanium Backup from the market. In addition to letting you back up your apps and data, on a schedule if you like, so that you can easily restore them when you try a new ROM is one great thing, but another is that you can use the app to uninstall these apps that you want to lose.

Ok, so I've had Titanium for awhile thinking this would fix it, and you telling me it would made me go back and play around until I figured out how. Pretty easy, mad that I didn't find it the 1st go-around. Now it's time to play with the other backup features and continue down this slippery ROM slope!

xtrSENSE is cache2cache by default - you only need that script if you want to switch it back from cache2sd. I once use apps2sd, back before there was a cache2sd, but now I no longer need to. If you run those gscripts to set up apps2sd and the restart, and you went through all of the steps to create an ext partition, then convert it to ext3, your apps will be moved to the SD card on that first restart.

I did do all that before, I feel I pretty strictly followed Zach's instructions on the xtr post @ XDA. I may try it again, but I have read some reports of iffy read/write with the stock SD card that came with the phone. May just try to stick with cache.

Cache2sd shouldn't do much to internal memory available because, as I said, by default xtrSENSE has cache2cache set up so that memory is free from cache already. Cache2SD I think will only help you if you have an SD Card that performs memory reads as quickly as internal memory does. Otherwise, you may as well stick with cache2cache.

I guess I was just confused if the improvements to the cache were really working as the xtrsense update claimed they were. Zach says to have released the /cache/ block as well as using the /data/ block for internal storage. I currently have 33 apps installed with 56mb free in the /data/ according to settings, and about 53mb free in the /cache/ according to the report setting gscript xtrsense came with. If that seems accurate than I guess all is well, just didn't seem right having only installed 33 apps.

In any event, I appreciate the response!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones