Ivona Amy British-English voice

1. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

I just adore Science Fiction. like the computer voices in various shows/movies over history. so I got my Android phone acting in a similar manner, and this was a perfect mate to it. after watching one particular film, Prometheus, I got addicted to the UK computer voice in the film, so sleek and proper, and natural. so I figured why not add such a voice to my phone? the results were nothing less than astounding. I highly recommend this freebie to any trekkies out there :) it sure beats the system default or any of the SIRI clone voices, and works well with SIRI clones too.

Advertisement
  2. nieltab

nieltab Well-Known Member

And what app are you talking about, or am I missing something?
  3. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

this is a text to speech voice engine used as an add-on to the default text to speech voices built into Android. it is part of the master app 'Ivona' (both free from play store). when selected as a default voice for any SIRI clone (Alice, Jeannie, Skyvi, etc) it makes it sound more natural and pleasing. there are other voices but i like the British one personally. the voice can also be used as a default text-to-speech voice for standard stock android apps that utilize it.

I often use voice control to avoid unnecessary touching of the screen (saves me from the annoying fingerprints) to launch apps or send messages or query the weather forecast.
  4. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Ivona text to speech is an awesome speech engine. I also have Amy on my phone. Did you sample an of the other voices too? I don't see it anymore but I remember seeing a voice add on that sounds like a little girl. She sounded scary. Lol.
  5. zoxxo

zoxxo Well-Known Member

I installed it on my phone and it worked pretty well. The only thing that annoyed me was that I spent a lot of time altering the pitch and timing only to find that I couldn't save those settings...
  6. TracyD

TracyD New Member

The thing that annoyed me about this app, is that although the voices are better than the regular S Voice, you have to sign your whole life away to use them! Not only does it want a LONG list of permissions on your phone, things that dont seem remotely necessary for them to have, but even that they have the right to collect everything you say through it-- including credit card numbers, passwords and other private information. I just thought, it's not worth it for a novelty, to have an app that takes that much personal info and permissions. Creepy.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

^^^^^^

I find it rather creepy and undesirable as well. The things you have to give up in return for using their "free" app. There's another issue as well, although the voices are very natural sounding, they consume a lot of RAM, Amy is 160MB, and are very CPU intensive. So if you have a device that's not quite upto spec. Don't be surprised if it lags, Amy and her friends stutter and put excess drain on the battery.