16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  3. Rooted Droid

13 vote(s)
    41.9%

Last Updated:

1. typehxr1

typehxr1 Member This Topic's Starter

I was getting bored with my 3GS, then I did the blackra1n jailbreak and I am a happy camper. Sure you can customize anything cosmetic on the phone (which is nice), but now I can answer texts or call from a text without closing the app I'm working in. I can change tones, I can download YouTube videos straight to the phone, I can access the file system, save email attachments, use a task manager and multitask, etc, etc.

What interests me about the Droid is that as much as I am into Apple stuff, I'm equally into Google and am not crazy about my ATT network. I will probably try it for 30 days in my most used areas (network connectivity, signal strength, call quality, etc).

I also get a corporate discount from ATT and VZW, with the VZW resulting in a slightly lower bill. I felt tied to ATT because everyone I know has it, but I don't call much (for mobile to mobile) and with so many other forms of communication available these days, roll over, though still nice, does not have quite (but it still does) the appeal it did in the past.....not to mention the 10 favorite #'s option VZW has now.

So to the big question, which is mainly for former/current jailbreak users of the iPhone 3GS............what would I be missing leaving a hacked iPhone going to the Droid, or one to a "rooted" Droid?

FYI, I know stock iPhones are lacking by comparison to stock Droids in many aspects, so chime in if you had ever used your iPhone while JB'd. Thanks :)

Advertisement
  2. ctlongley

ctlongley Member

I had a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS before I switched over to Verizon and the Motorola Droid. I have not regretted my switch at all, but there are a few areas where the Droid falls short of the mark in my opinion.

I have a house full of Apple products, but I always felt that the iPhone was too restrictive with what I wanted to do with it - many of which you mentioned in your post. The bottom line was I was tired feeling like I was "doing something wrong" by breaking my EULA when all I wanted to do was maximize the capabilities of the phone without having to go through some irritating work around (i.e. - jailbreak) to do so.

The Verizon network is far superior everywhere I have been, the Google Voice integration is top notch, and the ability to customize every aspect of the phone is a definite plus. I like the fact that I feel like I have choices now.

What is lagging a bit behind the iPhone and is merely a function of how the phone is designed is the lack of a seamless feeling user interface. Some applications are really well designed, others or horribly so. The multitouch is lagging behind the smoothness of Apple's, and the computer syncing with iTunes is non-existent - there are other work around and frankly I got over it, but there are no pretty pictures telling me what I am syncing.

All in all I feel it is a completely personal choice. If you like technology and like to tinker with lots of aspects and don't like the fact that Apple criminalizes you as a result, then you may in fact be happier with the Droid. I was glad I switched and continue to not miss just being one of many with an iPhone.

3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I had the iPhone 3GS jailbroken also. I had GV, but google voice is far superior on the Droid obviously. Google maps navigation is better than any iPhone app I tried (Navigon, TomTom, CoPilot, and AT&T navigator). Verizon is better which is really the only reason I switched.

As far as how the phone actually works I think they were both about the same as far as being "snappy" and running multiple apps at the same time. Using Handcent on the Droid is pretty equal to the iPhone with popups for text (Handcent even looks like the iPhone).

What I miss about the iPhone is the bosspaper. I loved the rotating wallpaper. Also being able to change all the system fonts and colors with winterboard is much better than anything I have found on the Droid. Also the Droid may have more megapixels but the iPhone took better pictures. Also the look and feel of the iPhone are far superior to the Droid.

As far as apps go, using the android market is basically the same as Cydia. No desktop downloads, and feels pretty much the same browsing the market and Cydia. Some apps are really good (similar to if not exactly the same as Apple's app store apps) some are very poorly made.

Overall what the Droid lacks in some areas it makes up for in others and once the android market catches up it will be very comparable to the iPhone if you can overlook the keyboard. This summer if the iPhone truely does come to verizon I will seriously consider getting one and paying retail. Now that after 2 1/2 years others are catching up I think Apple is going to make some major improvements in the 4th gen iPhone. If AT&T had coverage at my new house I would still have my iPhone. Only someone who has used a jailbroken iPhone 3GS really understands how good the phone is and the Droid is the only competition but does not beat the iPhone 3GS at all, I would say they are equals at best.

I have not rooted my Droid so I don't really know how much you can improve the Droid by doing so. I am just comparing the jailbroken iPhone 3GS to the stock Droid.

4. iAndroiid

iAndroiid Well-Known Member

I always wanted an iPhone but in my area AT&T sucks for service. I think if the iPhone was available for verizon i would have bought it but I have the HTC Droid Eris right now and I am pretty happy with it. Same thing as the iPhone to me other than a couple things that pare the two apart. The fact that most things are free on the Droid market is totally awesome. Couple of my friends have the iPhone unlocked and I think it is really cool but at the end of the day there trying to un-lock or make the phone more like a Droid. Also, applications on the iPhone cost money. Apple restricts a bunch of stuff where as the Droid doesn't. Also the navigation is a dead given the fact that the Droid can get Free navigation *waze & *google navigator are just awesome! At the end of the day both phones are alike and both are badass. Ether phone is great and it really comes down to looks or style or a couple certain features that make the your choice at the end of the day if the iPhone comes to verizon.

5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

The Eris was the first phone I tried when I finally made the switch to Verizon from AT&T and for you to say that the Eris and iPhone are the same is no where near true. I could not stand the Eris at all. It was slow, the screen was unresponsive, the battery was terrible all compared to the iPhone. The OP asked please only for opinions of those that have personally owned a JB iPhone 3GS, because if you have never had one you clearly do not know how good the phone really is. If the Eris was the best phone Verizon offered I would have cancelled within my 30 days (actually 3 days the phone was so bad compared to the iPhone 3GS) and just tolerated AT&T until Verizon got a real phone.