Jan 22nd 2.1 update

Last Updated:

1. reznorfan0

reznorfan0 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I was scouring youtube last night just drooling over the live wallpapers and one of the posters (shouldv taken notes) said that the droid 2.1 update was coming on the 22nd, just a few short days away.

He said it very offhand and didn't note a source, but it was a review site and not just some kid spreading rumors from what I could tell. Has anybody heard anything similar?

And on another note, does anybody know if the home replacements will support the live wallpapers? With bettercut and GDE I am really liking the way everything looks right now, but that new "digital rain" live wp on the market right now MUST BE MINE.

Advertisement
  2. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

That's the rumor - but it remains unconfirmed...

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I guess I could install Home++ Beta real quick on my 2.1 and see if it supports Live Wallpapers. I'll let you know in a bit.

4. reznorfan0

Your my hero Joe...don't happen to have GDE do you? If that matrix live wallpaper worked in conjuntion with the cube transition of GDE, that would be the coolest thing ever....EVER.

5. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

Jan 22nd would be nice for 2.1 but I'm really not trying to get my hopes up. Having played with 2.1 on the Nexus One (that I'm trying to sell...:rolleyes:) it's really not all that different from what we have now. I'm curious to see if Motorola adds anything else though as far as tweaks go.

6. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

No, they will very likely not change anything. droid does vanilla os

nexus is the same way as far as I know, so what you see on there is probably what we're going to get

7. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

I was talking about Droid specific speed tweaks since it has slightly different hardware than the Nexus One, but yeah it'll probably look the same.

8. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in buying, but just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of the N1?

9. v-6 nolo

v-6 nolo Well-Known Member

home ++ does not yet support live wallpapers, my roommate got his N1 on day 1.

10. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

Just off the top of my head from a mostly hardware standpoint:

[+]I love the form factor. It's very thin and feels good when holding.

[+]Speedier than the Droid in pretty much all areas (though the Droid isn't slow by any means).

[+]AMOLED screen is very vibrant. I like it.

[+]Camera operates much faster than the Droid. Software is quick and pics snap fast.

[\]Battery life seemed on par with the Droid. Maybe a smidge longer...not much.

[-]LED notifications don't work like the Droid. LED only lights up when charging/discharging. Trackball lights up when you get a message but with the Droid I can set different colors depeding on what notification I get. This can probably be fixed with a patch though.

[--]Horrible external speaker. Ringer/notification volume is much lower than the Droid. The phone is super thin so they obviously had to cut corners somewhere.

[--]Weak vibrate (better than iPhone still IMO) but again, they had to keep the phone thin somehow.

Everything else more or less pertains to Android 2.1. The Verizon N1 will probably have a few updates under it's belt plus a more robust network. Network is always area dependent of course. Guess it took me to spend $529 + tax to learn this the hard way. :rolleyes:

11. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Sad but true, live wallpaper is not supported with home++. I suppose a lot of devs will have their work cut out once 2.1is officially released.

12. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

First of all - I am sorry to b!tch, but I wish people would stop posting "release dates". And the 22nd is 7 days away, which is over a month in tech.
    Check out the BlackBerry forums and all the posts about the official 5.0 release for the various phones such as the Curve 8330 - it's rediculous.

Also, Live Wallpaper is dope, but do you think you have battery issues now??

13. trollitc

trollitc Active Member

I'm not worried - I plan on using a video of my battery in its external charger. That'll keep things fresh.

2.1 will be a fun update for the Droid but the bottom line is, it won't go live any sooner than it does.

14. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Jan. 22 is a scheduled update for sure. It may or may not be 2.1.

15. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

The 2.1 SDK is already out there for devs.

16. reznorfan0

no. My battery life is about what I expected it to be for everything the phone does.

17. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

Me too. I charge my phone at night and it's usually at about 40-30% battery life. I unplug it at 5 AM and use it all day, I usually plug it in to charge around 11 or 12 PM.

18. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

When I had my Nexus One, I ran a live wallpaper for a whole day to see if it had an effect on battery life. It obviously does because when I checked the battery usage screen, screen usage was #1 (duh) and the live wallpaper was #2. The percentage difference was huge but I was amazed to see the live wallpaper had that much of an effect.

19. reznorfan0

I'll only run it when I know I'm going to be showing it off. But damn that matrix wallpaper off of the market is going to be the shit once GDE gets it working with their cube screen transitions...

20. deeznuts2

deeznuts2 Well-Known Member

This is correct. The date, January 22 2010, was announced last November as the second maintenance update for the Droid.

That date is now being thrown around the Internet as the 2.1 release date, though there is absolutely no confirmation of this.

There will be something released on January 22 - either 2.1 or the already announced service update.

21. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

And what would said service update be? Last time we had specs of the update well ahead of time but I have heard nothing about what is to be updated this time so if it isn't 2.1 then I am very curious.

22. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

+1 On the maintenance update- Search around for the old threads on the Dec.11th update- The "Inside" Verizon documents outlined the issues to be addressed on 12/11 and 01/22. The camera was the biggest deal for Dec. ...

IIRC, 1/22 will bring some email fixes, and a few other fixes I can't remember right off hand. All in all, I think it will be 2.02 with 2.1 coming to the Droid before end of Q1 2010.

23. deeznuts2

24. iLollar

iLollar Active Member

Cube screen transitions? I think I might have seen this cube thing but not really sure. Anyone willing to make stupid talk with me? Or somewhere I might read about it.

25. deeznuts2

GDE - Version 0.1 in the market! - xda-developers

I have it and its pretty neat - well worth the small price.

Also, I don't know how much the above link has been updated, so you may want to check it out in the android market - just search for "gde new home"

BTW - despite some comments, I have never had any issues with it force closing and every update seems to be an improvement

Also, I think there is a youtube video of GDE, so you may want to search for that as well to see it in action