• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Japan and the Nuclear situation

Homan13PSU - good catch! I'd only skimmed that one, happy to have found something that looked simple yet complete.

So much fear-mongering over incomplete data, so little information.

When you think about it, its amazing what they try and slip in that people either don't know, or just plain miss because its buried.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Reactors (unless on an aircraft carrier or submarine) do not use fuel rods enriched to high enough percentages, or in quantities to create super-critical reactions.

I'm a layman, so be patient with me.

Your statement above is that an either/or conditions or you need BOTH quantities and enrichment levels?

If it's an either or, I know they've mentioned one of the reactors has a stockpile of used rods.

Would it be possible for that reactor to go super-critical?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Homan13PSU - Ja wohl.

I'd often thought that a wide distribution of slowpokes looked promising, but I see the error of that logic for situations like this one.

This whole situation is going to again cause controversy (as it should) but I fear that the outcome will be the same - more dictates by committee than by technology.

Are you familiar with Hyperion Power Generation

I'm not connected with them in any way, just putting that out there while tangentially waiting for information.

Upvote 0

Your statement above is that an either/or conditions or you need BOTH quantities and enrichment levels?

If it's an either or, I know they've mentioned one of the reactors has a stockpile of used rods.

Think of it as needing density - the original atom bombs worked by increasing material density - either by imploding the material and achieving density under pressure, or by mechanically assembling to sufficient density by bringing two parts (designed for the purpose) together.

The worst situation there in Fukushima would seem for the material to melt, coalesce and pool. Once that happens, it's a big problem - heat will be intense, poison emissions into the ground and air will go up and that blob will be hard to stop from flowing.

That's often likened to a lava flow, but that's not correct - lava doesn't generate its own heat, so that blob will stay hot.

Once you're there, you go for what Kaku described as the Chernobyl Option - encase it in a sarcophagus, monitor it for years and sign up for sarcophagus maintenance. By the way - the Chernobyl sarcophagus isn't so great. The idea behind a sarcophagus is to encase it until such time that technology finds a way to deal with it.

Whether measures that drastic will be called for remain to be seen.

Homan13PSU - please freely cross-check and criticize anything I've gotten wrong.

Upvote 0

Sorry, yes, seperate issues. Although as I understand nuclear physics they tend to go hand in hand.

Purity of the material used dictates how much of that material you need for a reaction to happen. The higher the enrichment (purity) the less you need.

Criticality is also depended on mass of material. The easiest way to describe it is material used in a warhead. You take a mass of plutonium that is sub-critical and compress it in some fashion down into a mass that is super-critical, and a reaction takes place. I don't believe that even with all those fuel rods in that pool, which I believe are spent can create a super-critical reaction. They are all seperate masses. This doens't mean they won't critically react or melt if the water is absent.

Does all that make more sense?

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Some reporting on the news holdup, pointing the finger at TEPCO - Post Quake, Questions Await Japanese Government, Utility - WSJ.com

Meanwhile - 2011/03/17 06:17 - Tepco To Build New Power Source To Aid In Cooling

Nuclear Accident | Japan | Nuclear Energy Institute

They're near - San Onofre is some 5 miles from one, and Diablo Canyon has fault lines on either side.

Well, the good thing is it'll just get swallowed up by the Earth and the mantle will have to deal with the after effects...

:p

Reactions: Gmash and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
While unacceptable to us, the Japanese manage theirs news in a way that we'd call a cover-up when hell breaks loose on man-made situations during the early reporting. Traditionally, this clears up once they're clear on a path to solution - you'll see it in their political coverage all the time.

Add to that the gross errors (milli vs micro have been mixed up and straightened out several times this week) and the political motivations of outsiders - it's been hard to get a square story.

I'm hoping this will clear up when the Americans we sent to assess and report to our government gets things straight.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/news/2011/11-048R.pdf

Upvote 0
So . . . anyone want to predict how this disaster finally plays out in the next few years? Will this set our own efforts for nuclear energy back because the anti-folks will have lots of ammo? Or will we help sort it out and things slowly get back to proper order, or it is the end of the world?

Bob

Upvote 0
So . . . anyone want to predict how this disaster finally plays out in the next few years? Will this set our own efforts for nuclear energy back because the anti-folks will have lots of ammo? Or will we help sort it out and things slowly get back to proper order, or it is the end of the world?

Bob

This, like everything else will fade into the background after a couple weeks. Eventually the US will move forward with their efforts and the hardcore anti-nukes will continue to protest, but not in enough numbers to make a difference.

Upvote 0
This, like everything else will fade into the background after a couple weeks. Eventually the US will move forward with their efforts and the hardcore anti-nukes will continue to protest, but not in enough numbers to make a difference.

And there will be the usual pressure for a round of inquiries into the NRC, political consternation will ensue, resulting in an increase in funding for expanded safety inspections - beginning immediately:

http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/nuclear_power/nrc-exec-summ-2010.pdf

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones