1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Java and ubuntu 12.04

1. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

im trying to get java working in ubuntu 12.04 in chrome (irc [the live chat here on the forums] :)) and i got both openjdk and icetea but this is still what i get. help please?

[​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
  2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I've never dabbled into java configurations myself, so I don't really know, but it almost looks like you don't have the permissions to access that java ... component...

maybe try as root/sudo? [though running an app such as a web browser as root isn't probably the wises decision either...?]

I'm sure someone who actually knows will be around shortly :)
  3. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

u mean run chrome as SU or the plugin? im not sure if i can run the plugin as SU
  4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

I was thinking the whole browser... but again, security wise that's not the best way of doing this I'm sure...
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

AF's live chat seems to be broken actually.
    afirc.JPG
    This is Firefox running on Win7, which definitely has Java.
  6. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

o so its probally not me? i guess i havent checked any other sites to see if it was set up properly... lol going to do that now!
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I think you've got Java working, otherwise you wouldn't be seeing anything, There would just be an empty rectangle.
  8. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

this is what i get when i go to the java wesite

[​IMG]
  9. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

it come up with out of date but i tryed sudo apt-get update and all of my packages are up to date :confused:
  10. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

It comes up with the green tick for me, and all up to date. I've used Java on Linux in the past no problem, although I'm not currently using Linux.

Maybe try removing it and do a re-install from the official Java site.
    How do I download and install 32-bit Java for Linux?
  11. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

i cant use that as its not for ubuntu. theres a link halfway down the page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java i think i have jdk7 and not sure the version of icetea (got it from the software center) i think in the am im going to remove both and try to install jdk6 and icetea6
  12. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

The website link mikedt provided includes JRE packages in both .rpm and .tar.gz form. The tarball (.tar.Hz) can be installed on any Linux distro including Unbuntu. Just download the tarball and follow the installation instructions on the website.

You don't need to install IcedTea at all. In fact I would recommend against it.
  13. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

ok im gonna remove icetea and jdk and try again :)