Java for Android?

1. malmot

malmot New Member

hi, i am new to android. Got a new A500 and discover that Java is not available and fail to find any apps to download. Went to Java site n there are no downloads for Java for android, any one can help to advise ? thanks

Advertisement
  2. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Java as in the SDK or runtime? No there isn't one for android.
    malmot likes this.
  3. malmot

malmot New Member

Thanks. Am in Singapore and most of the stuff we do online need Java, especial banking. Now struck. :confused:
  4. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

I dont get it. What do you need Java for? Are you trying to run Java applications on android? If you want to do online banking, can't you just log on to website?
  5. malmot

malmot New Member

thanks, i try a few using the Acer A500, i am able to go to the respective banks sites, but the moment i go to the access password page, all keep on telling me
    " system does not detect Java installed or enabled "" As such not able to proceed from there. Thanks if any advise can help. I call the helpdesk for Acer and they are saying Java not for Android which i find it strange. However in Java site, there are downloads for all OS but not Android :(
  6. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

ah i see. It sounds like your bank's site needs to run a java applet for logon. Unfortunately android doesn't support java applets and there aren't any downloads or plugins that will enable this. The only way you can access your bank is if your bank have an android app.
  7. Billaguana

Billaguana Member

Or find if there is a mobile version of the site. Even so, I have never seen a login use a Java applet unless based in JavaScript. You might want to go to your browsers setting and make sure JavaScript is enabled. That or maybe able to try dolphin browser. They try to develop that to substitute for the things android lacked. For ex. Before flash was implented into the marketplace, dolphin browser allowed you to see it through their server.
  8. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Its not common in the US, but a lot banks in other countries use Java applets for logon.
  9. Billaguana

Billaguana Member

OK, I am sorry. Thanks for the clarification. Still, I would think that there would be some sort of alternate site of or those that don't have it. Oh well, you might still want to attempt to use dolphin browser to see if there servers will supply the necessary Java runtime.
  10. malmot

malmot New Member

Hi guys thanks for the help, try dolphin does not work. So look like need to get the w500 or ipad. Unless Java can be use on android. :D
  11. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

The w500 should work, since it's running windows 7. You'll have to download and install the Java Runtime Environment. In my opinion window 7 is not a good OS for tablet, but that's another discussion all together. I don't think Ipad or iphone support java.
    malmot likes this.
  12. Billaguana

Billaguana Member

iOS doesn't support Java SDK or run time. Your best bet is to get a windows tablet or laptop.
    malmot likes this.