• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help JB Update Makes GTN7000 very slow

Try opening the "Google Settings" app. Then click "Maps & Latitude" and then untick as much as you dare. I've read that the "Report from this device" option is a nasty one, so if that's ticked try unticking it.

I'm beginning to form the impression that, while Samsung surely adds a lot of bloat, most of it is benign and if left alone will do no harm. Google, on the other hand, seems to be going full steam on all this location, search, social networking and cloudy stuff and that's where the real heavy punches are being delivered to our poor old Note.

Reactions: Pinmac1
Upvote 0
Wow, I never even knew there was a Google Settings app let alone that there was so many ways of sharing your location! I have unticked everything under Maps and Latitude so I'll see how that goes. I agree that Google seem to be all too keen to find out info about us through our phones. The problem is that some of it is really useful such as the cloud backup and so on but it seems that it goes too far sometimes.

Upvote 0
The Settings app appeared in February - PSA: A mysterious Google Settings app may soon appear on your Android device | The Verge

With respect to privacy concerns I don't have an issue with Google knowing where my phone is at all times, but I do have a big problem with the services to achieve that depleting my battery when 99% of the time the information is of no value to me. It makes sense to have location data when using sat nav, making a local search, tracking a journey, taking a photo or tracing a lost phone. It makes no sense to me to have that information constantly updated when I am asleep, (mostly) when the screen is off and when I am using apps like games, media players, office suites and the like. I'd prefer these services to kick in only when I am using apps that benefit from them. The rest of the time they should be dormant, IMHO. Unfortunately there are a lot of apps which think it is necessary for them to know where the phone is, even if I don't agree. Social networking apps are probably an obvious example, possibly shopping related apps, things like weather widgets and probably plenty more. Well again I don't much care if they know where I am or not, but I don't want them sucking the life out of my battery when I don't need to know and I don't need the apps to know either.

As for cloud syncing, that makes plenty of sense to me as it keeps my multiple devices (two phones and two laptops) in line and serves as an automatic data backup.

Reactions: Pinmac1
Upvote 0
Well, after switching all that stuff off, here we are a day later and guess what..... Yup... Nothing has changed. Hard resets do not work to get rid of this awful lag.

It was ace initially and I thought i'd sorted it but something in the phone cannot cope and after a while (About 3 hrs) the stuttering and hanging return

Guess I'm just going to have to live with it until some sort of fix gets issued :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones