Jealous and Curious

Last Updated:

1. jamina1

jamina1 Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 10, 2010

I'm the not-so-proud owner of your generic AT&T dumbphone, and my boyfriend just got a Vibrant when he switched to T-mobile. I love the phone, but I'm none to happy about the Android offerings on AT&T.

We'd combine plans on T-mo but they have zero reception at our house which often means lots of missed calls for my BF when he is at home. I think that's dangerous as our only phones are our cell phones, so I'd like to retain at least some form of communication at our house, so I'd have to stick with AT&T, and that means most likely the Captivate. Some of the coolest features are going to be in 2.2, but knowing AT&T and hearing the updates so far it probably won't happen until sometime next year and by then the next release of Android will most likely be out, rinse and repeat.

I'm totally new to this and I understand that the manufacturers and the carriers get their grubby fingers into the OS code, but why can't we just load stock Android on these devices? Is it just a compatibility problem or is it physically impossible to do?

I thought Android was supposed to be this great big open OS, and while its much more accessible then iOs, for certain because people are making mods and themes and what not, it still seems like the same old story.

I just want to get the updates from Google, why isn't that possible? Will any new phone be that open, unless purchased from google?

2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Feb 19, 2010
    It's possible to port android to a "rooted" windows mobile phone, fyi, although it's not optimal. Have you tried Verizon for reception?
  3. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi - Welcome to the Android Forums - Cheers ;)