• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [1st Gen] Jelly Bean 4.1.2 on Kindle Fire Parental Controls?

kindlenoob

Lurker
Dec 27, 2012
Forgive me for being new and not really understanding how rooting works, but here is my question. I bought a Kindle Fire 1st Gen and it came pre-rooted with Jelly Bean 4.1.2. I would like to have the Amazon AppStore require a password before allowing purchases (to keep kids from running up a bill). I found the following instructions on how to set parental controls: "To enable Parental Controls on your Kindle Fire, tap the Quick Settings icon, then More, then Parental Controls, then switch Enable Parental Controls to the ON position..." but I don't see a Quick Settings icon, etc. When Jelly Bean is installed, does that mean I can't access the normal Kindle Fire settings? I can access settings through a normal settings icon, but there is no option for parental controls there. Does anyone know how to require a password for appstore purchases with my KF/Jelly Bean setup?

Thanks!

Basically because your fire is rooted and running jelly bean it is no longer a true kindle fire.
If you want to stop your kids from running up a bill in the amazon app store the simplest and most fool proof method is to register a prepaid credit card to the amazon account it is associated with.

Can't spend what's not there ;)

Reactions: kindlenoob
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones