Jelly bean 4.2.2

Last Updated:

1. ryem84

ryem84 Well-Known Member

Just got my Nexus 7 on saturday and absolutely love it...great product for a low price. my next phone will definitely be a Nexus for sure. just heard something about a software update? anyone else hearing this? and does anyone know what it consists of?

2. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

valorian likes this.
  4. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor

Hope it doesn't break root. Any word?
  5. jhawkkw

Probably does, but the OTA root keeper app should protect it
  6. animania260

animania260 Well-Known Member

It does, I did not try the Root Keeper thing though or the built in function of SuperSu, I forgot it was there actually.
  7. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member Contributor

Here's how I kept root AND CWM RECOVERY. I did use the built-in function in SuperSU. I am pretty sure you must use the PRO (payed) version if you want this functionality in SuperSU.

So, if you have SuperSU PRO, you should load the update .zip file via recovery, and not do it over the air (OTA). After the zip is installed but before the reboot, SuperSU will ask you if you want to protect your recovery partition (say yes), and restore/protect root (say yes). Reboot and you're good to go. Root and recovery are maintained!

Looks like OTA Rootkeeper also successfully kept a copy of root, so that likely works too (I didn't test this method, but instead used the SuperSU method outlined above). I have no idea if the update would have rewritten recovery back to stock, but using the SuperSU PRO, I didn't have to worry about that possibility. Neall
  8. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

Sideloaded the update (Wifi only) and so far so good. Only difference I noticed so far is that the left slidydownbarthingy now seems to be responsive. It does not pop up like it used to - so you just slide on the left hand side and it comes down (if that makes remotely sense). Usually you needed a few attempts to get that working.

Only known change log : [Developer Changelog] Here's What's New In Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39)
  9. Sylon

Sylon Well-Known Member

10. jhawkkw

People use to trick the servers by clearing the Google framework in the all apps menu. So far, that doesn't appear to have worked for many, so that means you would have to install it manually of you wanted it now.
  11. Treknologist

Treknologist Well-Known Member

Has anyone been able to get this OTA? I keep checking on my N7 but nothing yet.
  12. Legobricke

Legobricke Well-Known Member

No OTA here is South Florida...... yet!

13. Treknologist

Treknologist Well-Known Member

Glad to see I'm not the only South Floridian still waiting! :)
  14. SirGrant

SirGrant Active Member

Just checked and it's coming through!
    valorian likes this.
  15. coach660

coach660 Member

Got my notification OTA and tried to install but failed. went to settings and still at 4.2.1 and said there were no new updates at this time. Wierd
  16. systemofadown

systemofadown Well-Known Member

I'm rooted, so I hit the power button to turn the screen off while I was being asked if I wanted to finish the download (the little guy was on his back). Guess I would go to google framework on ti backup & wipe it to get the update again.. Sad cause im to busy now lol
  17. nebler

nebler Well-Known Member

All done, no problem.
  18. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

If impatient, sideloading only takes minutes and does not require hacking / rooting or unlockinh :)
  19. 2 Phonez

2 Phonez Well-Known Member

20. jhawkkw

Root will probably be lost, but you can protect it with an app called OTA root keeper. Or you can just re flash the root zip in cwm after the OTA finishes.
  21. 2 Phonez

2 Phonez Well-Known Member

As long as the recovery isn't touched I don't mind just reflashing SuperSU, seems simple enough to me :)
  22. jhawkkw

It is possible that you may need to be on the stock recovery to flash this ota. Generally, this has been the case for most nexus device ota's. If that is the case, all you have to do is fastboot flash the stock recovery back to the device, take the ota, then fastboot flash your recovery back onto it, then apply the zip file.
  23. janeyg

janeyg Active Member

I am in the uk my n7 updated yesterday evening but no update for n4 yet
  24. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

Update done. Root lost.
  25. En4cer2k11

En4cer2k11 Well-Known Member

I just got the OTA notification this morning on my way to school. I'll wait for everybody else to guinea pig it first though. I wasn't exactly "thrilled" by 4.2.1, and I'm worried about app compatibility.