Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) discussionGeneral

1. brian609

brian609 Member

So after watching the i/o I was very impressed with jelly bean. I was planning on switching from my iPhone to a S3 but now a nexus phone seems appealing. How long do you guys speculate until the S3 gets jelly bean? Also, I am rather new to android so does anyone know if the new nexus phones will be offered subsidized from ATT?

Advertisement
    :
  2. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

My guess would be 2 to 3 months w/ this phone being on all 4 major carriers the heat will be on to get it out ASAP.
  3. Shogun1

Shogun1 Member

Yeah the S3 is Samsung's flagship esign - I am sure it will be 3 months tops, but I can't say for sure considering the S2 just got ICS
  4. brian609

brian609 Member

Yeah I want the S3 but I am hoping the update to Jelly Bean doesnt take too long.

Any word on if a subsidized ATT nexus phone will ever be released? Im looking for that stock experience with limited amount of rooting and hacking.
  5. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Well-Known Member

The S3 with Jelly Bean will wipe the floor of every other phone right now. Wonder how long it will take to get the upgrade. Oh, I forgot, I'm on Verizon. Guess I'm screwed.
  6. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

Jelly Bean is incremental update more like Froyo to Gingerbread. GB to ICS is much bigger update, so a lot of phones are still stuck with GB. I guess GSIII will get JB sometime in the Fall.

If you want JB that badly, GSM Galaxy Nexus is the only phone to get now. But its hardware is now outdated relative to GSIII and no one knows when the next nexus phone will come.
    jerofld likes this.
  7. kboss375

kboss375 Well-Known Member

I was just gonna say..we are at the mercy of Verizon...(if you decide to not root)
  8. freagul

freagul Active Member

According to Gizmodo, "It will be available in mid-July, with an over the air update for Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom, and Galaxy S." I'm assuming by Galaxy S they mean S3.
  9. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

At&t history for updating. Usually 5-8 months after the new OS release.
  10. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Nah, galaxy nexus, nexus s and Motorola xoom.
  11. ouch1976

ouch1976 Well-Known Member

I'm not holding my breath for Sammy and VZW to get their act together...that's why I'll root mine once I get it and hope AOKP or Cyanogen get out a Jellybean release quickly.
  12. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Samsung better not strip out the Google voice search features in favour of S voice...Googles offering looks so much better!
  13. dmanindfw

dmanindfw Well-Known Member

Google Now revamps search integration in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean -- Engadget

Pro: Looks like very impressive stuff here.

Pro AND Con: Looks like google will now be able to post ads and market to the masses even better than before. Big brother (Google in this case) is watching you even closer than before.

Frankly I think it's awesome what they are doing now. Context and location aware.

Eat it apple and your goofy Siri :)
  14. Skeeter125

Skeeter125 Well-Known Member

15. Dpopps

Dpopps Member

Sorry I am new, but what is jelly bean? And what will it do for a phone?
  16. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

rmcf likes this.
  17. Skeeter125

officially i would say a few months. Unofficially I would say less than a month.
  18. chillibean

chillibean Well-Known Member

I bet on October time, just before new iphone 5 is likely to be released. The operators and Samsung took their time with ics and the s2 and can't honestly say the s3 will be different
  19. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I'm pretty stoked about it! Come on, JB ROMs!
  20. Skeeter125

I am liking it. Only a matter of time before the devs have it on all the sgs3 variants so I can flash it once I get my vzw sgs3. Hopefully this will be a little faster to get updated since google gave manufacturers early access to it.
  21. fourther

fourther Active Member

all im wishing for is a feature to be able to use camera from the lock screen without having to enter PIN.
    PLEASE!
  22. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

23. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

Given Big Reds less than stellar reputation for bringing updates to the table, I'd say it's gonna be an easy 6 months or more before they bless the S3 with some JB goodness...
  24. AB00110101

AB00110101 New Member

Wont we be able to use a custom ROM after we root that uses JB?
  25. Skeeter125

yes we will have custom roms way before official updates