• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) discussion

Doesn't look like it's a cast-iron date... Nothing definite from Samsung; GSM Arena are quoting an 'anonymous tipster' as their source

Finally, some good news for the Galaxy S III users out there. The Jelly Bean update for the flagship smartphone is almost ready and will be released alongside the Galaxy Note II at the Samsung press conference on August 29. Special thanks to our tipster, who chose to remain anonymous!
Alleged Samsung N7100 Galaxy Note II official photo surfaces - GSMArena.com news

Upvote 0
I've only been back on Android a short time so could someone PLEASE save me the time of searching through these boards and give me the highlights of JellBean? Thanks!! :D

I merged the thread with the jelly bean thread. You should be able to go to the first post (or first few posts) and get the highlight :)

Upvote 0
Nothing official then, I wish it was true, but still, I don't think it will be released so soon. If I were them, I would wait until the iPhone 5 release, and then announce Jelly Bean for the Galaxy S3.

Wouldn't you want JB out prior to iPhone release? If its good, it could sway people to away from iPhone and toward android 4.1 devices and dampen the iphone release. I'd want S3's running JB on the shelves just prior to Apple's release.

Wait until iPhone release and Apple may steal all the thunder... Timing sounds right to me.

Upvote 0
Even if this is true this does NOT mean that WE will get our hands on it at that time. If they release to carriers on the 29th you can bet there will be better than a month of "customization and testing" that will delay at the carriers. Then they have to implement their rollout plan as well.

I would actually expect a couple of community ROMs off the released version before I would the carrier OTA release.

Upvote 0
Cyanogenmod is a huge development team for a large number of devices and when your device is officially supported by the team you'll get a new rom update nightly that incorporates all of the newest changes from that day. It's easily the most well known custom rom.

I'm on an unofficial cm10 port now, and the evo 4G lte should be getting official support in the future

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the information all. Sounds like the CM ROM is good if you want to constantly work on your phone...no offense. I look forward to the official or whatever you want to call it version of Jellybean. I rooted my phone but am not a big fan of having to constantly work on it or change things. You guys have been a great help though.

Upvote 0
CM10 is your best bet for jelly bean in the near future. I don't even think the nexus phones have an official update yet, which is going to be well before we can even think of getting it. Not to mention Samsung has to put Touchwhiz on it and test that.

Oh and the simple fact that Samsung is Never fast with updates or have we all gotten amnesia?

We will be lucky to have it OTA by years end. I bet against that happening. Which is why I will be trying it via root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones