• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) discussion

If that build is official, I hate how Samsung has stuck with their UI look and not the real JB style. But, all I really care about is "project butter" and Google Now. The Google Now feature should really take this phone one more step.

I really hope VZW can get this update out soon after the official release.

did you really expect them not to use TouchWiz?...

I feel like the only one perfectly content with ICS.

Nobody is not content with ICS...its simply why wouldn't you want something better?

Does anyone know if Jelly Bean might possibly improve reception? This might be the single area where I think the GS3 is a little lacking (overall a great device). Dare I hope......

i would imagine that there will be tweaks for the baseband built into the update...considering it doesn't seem like VZW is going to bother releasing the update that already came out to the public

Will the update be via your carrier or Samsung. I know when I had Nokia, I had to wait for Tmobile even though the updates were already available through Nokia's site. Does anyone know if this is the case?
especially for US owners the updates will come from your provider...the unlocked international version will get them from Samsung...

My guess is Verizon will be up to two months later than most other carriers, but looking forward to the update, since getting JB on the TF300.

Better than expected and as already mentioned in a few threads, Flash performance is even better as well. Ironic for a now non-supported feature. Post update, Flash works great with Boat, Dolphin and XScope.

Nice OS update.

if VZW is THAT far behind...its likely that many custom ROMs will start to build off other carrier versions then...so its likely rooted users might be able to get a taste of JB earlier...

ALSO...updates often get leaked early...and ALWAYS have to go out to soak testers before the general public...likely rooted users will be on official Carrier specific JB before the general public...

for instance...on the Droid X..we had leaked Gingerbread builds probably 6 months before it hit as an OTA...

for those who are rooted, since OTA is disabled, im guessing a stock rom will become available so that we can flash via Odin right - probably reserving all our data/settings/apps etc correct? Probably the day that Samsung releases it OTA.

yes...but i would strongly suggest a data wipe when moving between ICS and JB...

Upvote 0
All this concern about when Adobe pulls flash. I personally can't wait. Because then we can finally move on to html5. It's the same thing with XP in the corporate world, I can't wait for MS to finally pull the plug so we can move on to bigger and better things.
It's going to happen people, stop resisting, your precious videos will just be forced to move over as well. The sooner we quit resisting, the sooner we can move along.

Upvote 0
My guess is Verizon will be up to two months later than most other carriers, but looking forward to the update, since getting JB on the TF300.

Better than expected and as already mentioned in a few threads, Flash performance is even better as well. Ironic for a now non-supported feature. Post update, Flash works great with Boat, Dolphin and XScope.

Nice OS update.

I won't be surprised if Android 5 (Key Lime Pie, it might be called) is out before Verizon releases it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones