• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean discussion/issues thread (released Dec. 13)

I think this update will depend on the ongoing Apple litigation.

Apple's already trying to convince the world that HTC didn't meet the requirements in the ICS model we're enjoying now - and has since gone after Google directly claiming a new set of infringements in basic JB itself.

HTC's not going to push an update that takes them further into court because new models will come with the OTA baked in shortly after the update hits our shores.

The foodchain that was previously - Google creates -> later puts code in AOSP -> HTC retrieves code -> HTC updates -> Sprint approves and pushes OTA ... just got a number of places for Apple to target.

I don't want to start another round of Apple hate, but I see the above as directly on-point to the question in the OP - when are we going to get JB?

Because after the last few days, we have to decide - how many players this time around - before we can make those guesses.

Well, for me, anyways.

Upvote 0
Looks like the One X line will get it, but nothing on the LTEvo. Also, no time frame on the One X.

HTC confirms Android 4.1 update for One X, One S, One XL | Mobile - CNET News

No, I'm not willing to install my own OS's anymore :p

Do we know if the Galaxy SIII will beg getting 4.1 soon?

Edit: Ugh, ok, so it looks like Samsung is trying to release something by September.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/0...i-android-4-1-jelly-bean-update-in-the-works/

Double Edit: Thanks for moving this, though when I put in Evo, Jelly Bean and 4.1 this thread did not pop up as an option :(

Upvote 0
I feel the same way.

The S3 is a fine phone, and a great choice. However, I like the sense and the build quality of my LTEvo. But with the wild popularity of the S3 and all the accessories now available, it makes me wonder what the market will look like two years down the road when I'm ready to buy again.

If HTC keeps loosing money the way it's been they'll be a perfect takeover target for market consolidation. Particularly since they've settled with Apple

Upvote 0
I noted with interest that the Android Central comments seemed to revolve around the hope that jellybean would fix contact lag and multitasking problems.

As some of you may recall, I have been working on that since I got my LTEvo.

I found the problem, there are two lines of code wrong by HTC for memory management.

Those interested in solving those problems with a rooted phone, rather than waiting for jellybean, please meet me in the Viper4G thread in our root forum.

You won't need to run a custom rom to fix it, but you will need to be rooted.

The result cannot be exaggerated.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So is it the same fix for both contacts lag and multi-tasking or are those two different things? I assume it's a memory issue that is causing both so one fix for both problems but want to make sure I'm on the same page.

Yep. :) One issue, one cause, multiple symptoms. If you find Chrome or other browsers lock up, fixes that as well.

Let's please continue the discussion at -

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=624614

That's the Viper4G thread.

Upvote 0
I should have been more specific. Mine ALWAYS says theres a PRL update. Even if I "update" it thorugh the app, it still shows an update available. & The PRL number never changes

Right. I understand that, but mine has never said specifically HTC software update is available for your HTC evo 4g LTE... Mine has always said profile/prl updates are available this other message displayed is totally new as of today.. that's what I'm trying to say lol :)

Upvote 0
Pocketables – New leak suggests Jelly Bean for HTC EVO 4G LTE will roll out tomorrow

nexusae0_wm_IMG_20121212_184802.jpg

Upvote 0
OBTW - this makes us the first One X in the USA to get this update.

I'm just saying. :)

7 weeks to the day after Sprint was first with JellyBean for in the USA on the SGS3.

Didn't I just read a few days ago that we needed to thank someone for trading their LTEvo for a Sammy because whenever they did that, the update happened? :D

Thanks! lol j/k

I figured I would post for the first time to confirm software update 3.15.651.16! I assume this is the Jellybean update. I am currently downloading now here in Massachusetts. I went to system updates and checked for an HTC Sense update and the download prompt comes up.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Upvote 0
OBTW - this makes us the first One X in the USA to get this update.

I'm just saying. :)

7 weeks to the day after Sprint was first with JellyBean for in the USA on the SGS3.

Didn't I just read a few days ago that we needed to thank someone for trading their LTEvo for a Sammy because whenever they did that, the update happened? :D

Thanks! lol j/k

Welcome to the forums! :)
That would of been me but I'm happy with the S3 and if I change my mind I'll switch back to the Evo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones