• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean discussion/issues thread (released Dec. 13)

They usually send them out in waves over a couple weeks. If you really really want the update, it is possible to manually update when someone posts the update file.

It's not a big deal, I just wondered why it wasn't showing up when I manually looked for updates. I'm in no rush, my phone works great as it is now.

Upvote 0
EM posted early on in this thread (view the "likes" to see his post or scroll back a few posts--your choice) that if the caches are dirty/clogged, this could give one issues, especially on a huge UPGRADE as this is.

First thing is to do a battery pull simulation reset. hold down the power button for greater than 10 seconds, you will see the lower buttons flicker and a message on the screen asking you to continue to hold the button.

the phone should power down/reset. this is NOT a factory reset so nothing should be lost.

once it boots back up, re-check settings. also if you have FASTBOOT turned ON, turn it OFF and test.

IF you do not like the results from this, a factory reset is recommended. Again, smoke over EM's post to give you ideas and ways to backup.

Phone updated last night and everything looks good but I have a couple of issues with it. First my small people widget is now gone and I don't want a full page taken up with one. Also the wallpaper doesn't slide while scrolling anymore which isn't a problem but the picker still tries to format for that style with the wings.
Other than that it looks like an improvement is there a way to fix these?

Upvote 0
EM posted early on in this thread (view the "likes" to see his post or scroll back a few posts--your choice) that if the caches are dirty/clogged, this could give one issues, especially on a huge UPGRADE as this is.

First thing is to do a battery pull simulation reset. hold down the power button for greater than 10 seconds, you will see the lower buttons flicker and a message on the screen asking you to continue to hold the button.

the phone should power down/reset. this is NOT a factory reset so nothing should be lost.

once it boots back up, re-check settings. also if you have FASTBOOT turned ON, turn it OFF and test.

IF you do not like the results from this, a factory reset is recommended. Again, smoke over EM's post to give you ideas and ways to backup.

To add to this I was having major lag after the update and went straight for the Hard Reset and all is well on the speed side. I recommend a Back up program like My Backup Pro because it saves your Home screens. For some reason redoing home screens is my most hated thing about Hard Resets.

Upvote 0
Something strange is happening.

When I plug my device in at work (PC) to charge via the USB, somehow the USB debuggin developer options menu opens and starts.

2012-12-14_12-10-01_zpsa87ecfd9.png

When at home and attached to my mac, it asks for debugging information. Also now it says I've incorrectly disconnected my device. What is this USB File Sharing

I'm not sure why this is happening? :thinking:

In the past when I've plugged it in, it's automatically gone in as a disk drive and I just plug or unplug.

I just want to charge or if I chose mount as a disk drive and copy some files.

Upvote 0
Phone updated last night and everything looks good but I have a couple of issues with it. First my small people widget is now gone and I don't want a full page taken up with one. Also the wallpaper doesn't slide while scrolling anymore which isn't a problem but the picker still tries to format for that style with the wings.
Other than that it looks like an improvement is there a way to fix these?

Hadn't noticed the non-sliding on the wallpaper, bummer. My wallpaper has 3 people in the picture and now I just see the center person regardless of the page.

Upvote 0
Well, after several reboots (inlcuding the "battery pull" suggested by MT) everything seems to be hunky dory. Keyboard hasn't gone garbage and the black screen after a phone call isn't happening anymore. Does the cache get overwritten over time? Overall seems faster/snappier. Not real hot on the new keyboard with the number toggle on the left now instead of right (have to stretch with my thumb) and the keys seem smaller/harder to hit. Can this be changed with the stock keyboard somehow? If not I'll get used to it. Have NOT had any text notification issues so far which was my number 1 problem (missing work pages was a huge problem). Hopefully not jinxing myself but at this point pretty darn happy!

Upvote 0
Usb file sharing is how you transfer files to your sd cards

There's usually a usb tether option that pops up as well

Is this how is being worded now? Prior to the update this never happened. In the past there was an option to "mount as disk" or "just charge" and a few other options, however, it never opened or activated any USB development options or Sprint hotspot & tethering.

Upvote 0
I didn't notice till my guy showed me on his but your screens scroll all the way through. He tried to trick me and goes how many screens do you have to the left and right? I am liking Google Now even though I have had Jelly Bean on my Transformer Prime tablet for a bit now I never really used it. One of my cards popped up today on my phone while at the Hair Dressers telling me how long it was gonna take me to get home. LOL!

I had a couple people in my contacts where it didn't get there names right like a co-worker Juan it would say 1. And my friend Jeanne it wouldn't get but now it does. Google voice is so much better now. I also use Speak to it Assistant which you can speak through your bluetooth headset and it uses Google Voice and it works better now. I was on the expressway last night and I brought up google voice to text and it worked great. Usually while driving it's not so good. But I have no lag and am happy with it so far.

Upvote 0

Not quite sure how resetting phone will fix a wallpaper resize issue? I got the people app fixed now all I have is the wallpaper and an icon that will take me straight to my picture gallery with one tap.

Upvote 0
So I didn't know anything about any of this until this morning. I just figured I"d check for updates and one came up so I downloaded and installed it. It is JB. Haven't had a chance to really see any difference as far as speed but I HATE HATE HATE HATE the new keyboard now. I used to have arrow keys to move the cursor but now they are gone. I'm PISSED!! That was one of my huge things I loved about this phone vs. all my friend's iPhones. Does anyone know if I can download the old keyboard or if there are other keyboards on the Play store that have the cursor keys?

Upvote 0
my sensor was having the same issue as many others. i took my Zagg Shield off and my sensor worked fine. i had to replace my shield with a newer updated shield. it has been working fine ever since. make sure you bring your old shield back and they should replace it for free.

now if i could get my battery life back to what it used be i would be very happy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones