• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean discussion/issues thread (released Dec. 13)

vyba9u9y.jpg

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
Since updating to JB yesterday, I have received several text messages from '8737' and the messages are all the same - strings of mostly alpha numeric code. Anything thoughts what this is about.

I have used GO SMS since I got the phone June 2012 and have the "Disable other message notification" checked.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Since updating to JB yesterday, I have received several text messages from '8737' and the messages are all the same - strings of mostly alpha numeric code. Anything thoughts what this is about.

I have used GO SMS since I got the phone June 2012 and have the "Disable other message notification" checked.

Any thoughts?

I've seen this pop up a few times randomly for people and it seems to stop mostly on its own. Try a prl/profile update

Upvote 0
Hi,

Just like others here, I'm offering suggestions. You are welcome to try them or research for other methods. Freedom is yours my friend. ^_^

Pleased to hear you are having some success.

Not quite sure how resetting phone will fix a wallpaper resize issue? I got the people app fixed now all I have is the wallpaper and an icon that will take me straight to my picture gallery with one tap.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Are these appearing on the stock app or both stock and 3rd party app?

If only appearing on the stock app, contact sprint.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Any thoughts?

No JB here yet. I had this happen after a previous update, I blocked the number to make it stop. I remember others reporting the same problem at that time but I don't remember there being any definitive answers as to what caused it to start happening.

Upvote 0
I have the power saver on, BUT this update is a power hog!! No change to the phone or the apps (other than downloading JB and turning power saver on).

Using GSam Battery Monitor, appears that most of the power consumed by Android System and Kernel.

So far, it appears that this update has been a major downgrade for my phone! :mad: Hopefully those who monitor and control the situation will be able to rectify the situation!

Upvote 0
I got Jellybean this morning. I backed up everything just in case I wanted to do a factory reset. So far, I haven't needed to do a reset. Everything works as smooth as butter. It changed some of the look and feel. I do like the power saver. Swype is much improved. I love the new Swype keybord.

Now if Sprint can get its act together concerning the network, I'd be a very happy camper.

Upvote 0
Anyone having issues with HANDCENT SMS notifications now with Jelly Bean?

mine were crappy at first.. then i rebooted, and they work fine now.. one thing i dont like.. if you turn on privacy.. it wont even show the notification.. where as before.. it would say who its from.. and no text.. now it dont even show up..

but.. i can live the preview text in the notification bar..

Upvote 0

Any thoughts?

I believe this is related to the non-stock SMS software. I had this issue with Handcent and the solution is to make it your default SMS app. You might try removing GO SMS for a while and seeing if it changes anything. Or poke through the settings and see if there is anything related to the SMS app sending its own ghost SMSes.

I AM having an ongoing issue with handcent reporting to me a count of unread messages that I have previously read, every time I receive a new SMS or sometimes just out of the blue. The only solution I have found so far is to delete the threads from the people mentioned. Don't really like that solution but it's what I've found so far.

Upvote 0

Any thoughts?

mine did it once or twice also when we updated to ICS. did it one time this morning after the JB update. that was the only time.. no more after that.

Upvote 0
I notice some post's talking about high Ram usage in JB. This is some thing I did to get things tip top.
1) Clean out cache
2) Clean out Memory
3) Make sure apps are updated (Specially since afterJB upgrade)
4) Some nefarious apps like to run CPU through the roof (Asphalt 7 is prime for this!)
5) limit screen pages and create folders I.E. (games, productivity, Google Apps, Productivity) I found with these 4 folders I can get by with 1 screen (Nice)

I haven't run into any other isssues thus far. I am going on 30+hrs on a full batt. w/o batt saver.

Upvote 0
That's kind of how I feel. Although I'm really curious about JB and do want to try it out, my phone works perfectly on ICS (non-rooted) so I'm hesitant to update & possibly introduce problems. Decisions, decisions... :p

Been pretty pumped about getting JB. I was like you thought wait to try after a few reports. Couldn't do it and my LTEVO has never been faster and batt life has been much better. As other Post said "the water is fine." :) face lift is saweet!

Upvote 0
I have the power saver on, BUT this update is a power hog!! No change to the phone or the apps (other than downloading JB and turning power saver on).

Using GSam Battery Monitor, appears that most of the power consumed by Android System and Kernel.

So far, it appears that this update has been a major downgrade for my phone! :mad: Hopefully those who monitor and control the situation will be able to rectify the situation!

You know this may not be the case with yours but when I upgraded my battery usage was terrible. I didn't notice that the phone was uploading every photo and video to dropbox after the update. So that is what was actually killing the battery. Of course on yours it probably would have shown Data...might just be something to look into though.

Reactions: smitty543
Upvote 0
I am having mixed feelings about this update. Sometimes the phone flies and is as smooth as butter. Other times it is laggy and just feels slower. And my battery life has been cut in half but I am thinking it is an errant app and perhaps Google Now.

I feel the same way, especially with the new voicemail app. It is now white background, and swiping left to right from voicemail to voicemail, it is really laggy and slow. I like the Google Now, but other than a few minor things, I'm so far unimpressed.

I wish from handcent main menu where you see all your text messages, you could long press a persons text to call them, instead of having to open up the thread and long press on one of their messages. Just a small complaint.

Furthermore, frequently my phone's 'mobile data' will be on, but listed as 'not connected' the only way to reconnect is to reboot my phone. Turning the switch on and off does nothing. This is my second EVO LTE, and they have both had this problem. Overall, while I like Sense and I love the screen, I wish I had gotten the S3... faster updates and fewer problems.

Upvote 0
Major update, so it's likely the operating system caches are dirty.

And I just inspected the installer - once again, they've failed to clean those out for you.

Rom updates need clean caches to work right. Without root, you only option is to backup (MyBackup Pro and SMS Backup+, they won't get everything, but they're about the best you can do) - and then do a factory data reset.

If using Wallet, go into the app, menu, and reset it, just to be safe, before doing the factory data reset.

Do NOT erase your /sdcard with that.

Please don't shoot me, I'm just the piano player. :)
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but the update is done without wiping everything? I haven't done a new software update to a phone in a couple of years, and obviously this is the first new version on the LTEVO.

If the goal is to clear the cache, should the hard reset be done before or after the update? Or, why not use a cache cleaning app?

Upvote 0
That's kind of how I feel. Although I'm really curious about JB and do want to try it out, my phone works perfectly on ICS (non-rooted) so I'm hesitant to update & possibly introduce problems. Decisions, decisions... :p

Same here. There is no way to revert to ICS if I install JB and don't like it is there? Is there a software package that one can get to reinstall ICS, or would I need to root in order to go to anything other than JB?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones