• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean firmware unofficial release

MD5 invalid
I followed the instructions to the letter and got an error from ODIN3 stating the MD5 was invalid. So, I downloaded the firmware file again and got teh same error. Can someone assist?

Hello and welcome to Android Forums josebig! :)

Can you go to... Settings > About phone > Model number... and post the details.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I have updated the infromation.

Would I be correct in saying that you are attempting to flash this Jelly Bean firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100, International version, to a Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100G, variant?

Post #1...

A leaked version of the official Samsung, stock, Jelly Bean, Android 4.1.2, firmware is now available from SamMobile for the GT-i9100, International version.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Would I be correct in saying that you are attempting to flash this Jelly Bean firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100, International version, to a Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100G, variant?

Post #1...

:rolleyes:
Correct. When I purchased it from Amazon was labeled as International version; however, it is a i9100G and when new looked like the German version (at least all the menus came up in German). Now, I think worth mentioning is that I followed the same steps/process in May 2012 to go from GB to ICS.

Upvote 0
Correct. When I purchased it from Amazon was labeled as International version; however, it is a i9100G and when new looked like the German version (at least all the menus came up in German). Now, I think worth mentioning is that I followed the same steps/process in May 2012 to go from GB to ICS.

That would have to be using the GT-i9100G firmware upgrade to ICS, released in May 2012, as the GT-i9100 firmware is definitely not compatible with the G variant, and visa versa, as they have totally different chipsets and kernels as shown in this comparison, here, and discussed in this thread, here.

Reactions: josebig
Upvote 0
That would have to be using the GT-i9100G firmware upgrade to ICS, released in May 2012, as the GT-i9100 firmware is definitely not compatible with the G variant, and visa versa, as they have totally different chipsets and kernels as shown in this comparison, here, and discussed in this thread, here.
Thank you ironass. Maybe i9100G owners will be lucky enough and we will get a version of JB.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
It has been 2 months since this thread was started and I moved from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean and I can honestly say that there is no way I would go back now.

In spite of the fact that this is a pre-release version from Samsung it has performed and behaved perfectly.

I thought that ICS was a big step forward for the Galaxy S2, and so it was, however, Jelly Bean has taken ICS and improved on it in leaps and bounds.

The JB TouchWiz launcher is a big improvement. The Power Saving menu increases battery life way beyond Gingerbread or ICS. Perhaps one of the most noticeable improvements is called, "Project Butter", by Android. This is designed to make menus faster and scrolling slicker and smoother. The JB kernel and modem are big improvements on the GB and ICS versions.

The majority of posters on the, "All Things Root", forum have taken Jelly Bean to their hearts as indeed, have the developers of custom ROM's who, with the early releases, did not support ICS.

All-in-all, Jelly Bean on the SGSII has extended its life by another year at least.

Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean: Samsung Galaxy S2 Review

Upvote 0
All-in-all, Jelly Bean on the SGSII has extended its life by another year at least.

What does that suppose to mean? Are you saying that your S2 will outlive my S2 which is running ICS? How is a software upgrade going to extend the hardware life?

I did not say that. :thinking:

:D It would indeed be ridiculous of me to suggest that FinancialWar, or ask anyone to believe it!

The SGSII is some 20 months old now and near its end-of-life.

Samsung are not obliged to offer updates and, indeed, there was some speculation that after the ICS update, whether Samsung would in fact consider their duty done and bother to release a Jelly Bean update for the SGSII when it is only weeks away from its EoL and Samsung, after all, are in the business of selling new phones.

If not, this would have meant that SGSII owners who purchased their phones on a 2 year contract in the last 12 months would be saddled with a phone running ICS for another year or more.

However, Samsung have, unlike some other phone manufacturers, decided to issue Jelly Bean for the SGSII rather than forcing owners, who want the latest and greatest firmware, to purchase the later Samsung phones. This means that the SGSII will still be on a par, firmware wise, with much newer models until Key Lime Pie is rolled out to those handsets later this year or early next.

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
It has been 2 months since this thread was started and I moved from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean and I can honestly say that there is no way I would go back now.

In spite of the fact that this is a pre-release version from Samsung it has performed and behaved perfectly.

I completely agree. I waited until early January to install the leaked JB, in the hope that I could go straight to the official release version. Despite some initial fears about the battery life (it did go down quickly when I first installed it), it seems that was because I had the phone blazing away constantly for a good hour or so. After that, the power consumption has been no worse than ICS - and probably better. Though I also get AVG doing some power saving something or other at 30% battery level. I should probably disable that, and see how it goes.

Jelly Bean is absolutely superb though. I am gradually getting to grips with Google Now - though what I find annoying is that the Google Search widget goes straight to Google Now, rather than a simple, normal search. I'd much rather Google Now was seperate to be honest. To do a normal search, I fire up the browser and search from the address bar.

TouchWiz is far better - in fact, I've not even reinstalled NovaLauncher since JB. Having the five quicklaunch buttons on the homescreen just looks so much better.

All-in-all, it's been great - and I am looking forward to the main release, as I am still averse to installing abolutely everything on it quite yet, as it just means even more duplication when the official one arrives. I wonder what the re-partition that's been mentioned will actually do for us (apart from leech storage space)? I mean, I didn't re-partition this one via Odin (although there were partition files in there for 16GB and 32GB), and it runs just fine.

JW

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I read about that app on another forum but haven't got the guts to root my phone yet. Isn't there a danger of losing camera function etc? Is there any way around the problem without rooting? Thanks for the response.

Not sure how you'd go about doing that without root, unless you perhaps took it to one of those market stalls and paid to have it unlocked?

There are some quite simple methods of rooting - you could always root, unlock then phone then re-flash the stock firmware back again. That's what I did and it's working perfectly.

Upvote 0
Hi, I successfully rooted my phone and all was good until an automatic update came out for Super User and asked me to download and restart. Since then I haven't been able to boot into recovery mode or get past the samsung logo screen. However I can get into download mode. Could anyone give me any tips on what to do? The phone keeps restarting when I'm not in download mode and I need to take the whole battery out. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, I successfully rooted my phone and all was good until an automatic update came out for Super User and asked me to download and restart. Since then I haven't been able to boot into recovery mode or get past the samsung logo screen. However I can get into download mode. Could anyone give me any tips on what to do? The phone keeps restarting when I'm not in download mode and I need to take the whole battery out. Thanks

Try wiping cache and dalvik as per post #2 of the Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide.

(For Rooted phone queries... please post in the, "All Things Root", section of the forum to avoid confusion. ;) )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones