• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean newb questions

lagagnon

Lurker
Jul 26, 2012
A few probably basic questions regarding Android 4.1 on a Nexus 7 tablet.

1) the automated Google account backup system: as I am aware this saves some data, settings and apps to my Google account. Does this in fact save the set up of my home screen, i.e. the position of all the icons, widgets etc., and the special settings of each app? If not, is there a better backup system and if yes, does that require rooting to do it?

2) there is a "Downloads" icon but it does not show files I actually have in my Downloads folder - I can see them with my file manager. What gives?

3) not a single app has a shut-down option (other than from the settings "Force Close"), so I now have numerous apps open and checking the memory I still have some 300MB free (of 1GB). I assume that Android manages the memory by removing RAM chunks that are not being used by apps that were opened first? Does one ever really need to worry about the RAM issue?

thanks for your time and attention...

Larry

A few probably basic questions regarding Android 4.1 on a Nexus 7 tablet.

1) the automated Google account backup system: as I am aware this saves some data, settings and apps to my Google account. Does this in fact save the set up of my home screen, i.e. the position of all the icons, widgets etc., and the special settings of each app? If not, is there a better backup system and if yes, does that require rooting to do it?
Welcome to Android Forums lgagnon:)
It will not back up app settings or screen setups. There is an app that does this and does not require root. I'll get back to you on that.
2) there is a "Downloads" icon but it does not show files I actually have in my Downloads folder - I can see them with my file manager. What gives?
Yes, that's annoying. I use ES File Explorer to make my way around the phone.
3) not a single app has a shut-down option (other than from the settings "Force Close"), so I now have numerous apps open and checking the memory I still have some 300MB free (of 1GB). I assume that Android manages the memory by removing RAM chunks that are not being used by apps that were opened first? Does one ever really need to worry about the RAM issue?

thanks for your time and attention...

Larry

Don't worry about memory. Android is optimized to run at near capacity for responsiveness and battery life. The more you use it, the better it will get at loading the apps you frequently use into cache memory. Don't worry, the apps that are cached are not using resources the apps you are using need. If they are, Android will close them down in a way not harmful to the system or the app.

Finally, I am going to move this over to the N7 forum so other device owners like myself can add on to the answers I gave.

Upvote 0
Hey lagagnon, concerning your homescreen backup question: if you use a 3rd party launcher like Nova or Apex they each have a built-in backup function. Not an answer if you're using the stock launcher, but it would get the job done plus give you a bunch of additional features and improvements over stock.

A more comprehensive backup solution would be to root and use Titanium Backup as you could then backup all user apps plus data and settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones