• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] Jelly Bean Source Being Released TODAY!!!

So how long does that typically take? And what about kernels?

Not sure but I'm sure we'll see updated JB ROM's as soon as late tonight or tomorrow morning. As long as source is available (even if not for our specific devices), we'll be fine. Look at what ACS did with a JB preview!!! This ROM (with the exception of MMS, which we have a fix for) is FLAWLESS!

As for kernels, we already have JB kernels that are the truth as is right now! With source available, they will just keep getting better.

Upvote 0
Ok cool. I read this from android police. What does it mean? Does the Sprint galaxy nexus not get full aosp support?

Sprint Had This To Say About AOSP Support For Galaxy Nexus Sprint Had This To Say About AOSP Support For Galaxy Nexus

I don't know.....I keep reading different things. Personally I think we will (in time), but at the end of the day, none of that matters. Same thing happened to the NS4G, it's not officially supported, and it didn't change anything; just like it won't change anything on the Gnex.

Upvote 0
Anyone want to join me in lobbying Sprint's facebook for AOSP support like we did to HTC when they locked bootloaders?

Screen+shot+2012-07-10+at+10.15.34+AM.png

Upvote 0
Sure. I guess I still don't get what difference it makes for Sprint. What are they trying to protect? If the ports work and all the software updates still roll out, then what difference does it make? Does the phone lose any functionality by not being part of the AOSP?

LTE would be my main concern. I'm fortunate enough to live in one of the launch LTE cities, so as long as that work and all other aspects of the phone work just like you would expect with a Nexus phone, then I guess I can live with that.

Brimming with questions now....upgrading soon and I don't want to jump on this phone only to find out that there are drawbacks with it not being part of AOSP.

Upvote 0
Sure. I guess I still don't get what difference it makes for Sprint. What are they trying to protect? If the ports work and all the software updates still roll out, then what difference does it make? Does the phone lose any functionality by not being part of the AOSP?

LTE would be my main concern. I'm fortunate enough to live in one of the launch LTE cities, so as long as that work and all other aspects of the phone work just like you would expect with a Nexus phone, then I guess I can live with that.

Brimming with questions now....upgrading soon and I don't want to jump on this phone only to find out that there are drawbacks with it not being part of AOSP.
I think that being AOSP would be less work for sprint..? I mean, they would only have to release the binaries for the device right? Then google or devs take care of everything else. I think - correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think it loses 'functionality', but definitely timely updates - which IMO is a pretty big feature of the nexus line.

I feel I should follow this up by just saying that I too don't have the phone, and these are just my things that I'm thinking at 1 am. ;)

Reactions: AARONONE
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones