1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Jelly Bean Tips and TricksGeneral

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

So this is a new OS for all of us and many of you are coming from Gingerbread or older versions. I figured we needed a place to share tips & tricks that we find so we can all learn together.

I'll start with this one for folks coming from pre-ICS. The menu button you have all become familiar with is no longer around. You will now see three vertical dots that provide the same functionality. For apps that are designed to UI guidelines it will appear on the top right corner of the app. For apps that haven't been updated to ICS/JB design guidelines it will appear on your soft key bar to the right of the task switcher.

Advertisement
    :
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

Here is one:

Press volume down and the power button to take a screen shot on the Nexus 7.
    pennblogh, Cath201, yadanac and 18 others like this.
  3. ClarkMP

ClarkMP Member

NO.WAY.

Thank you!
    CARRJ142 likes this.
  4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

lfc4ever, zoxxo, Bigherb and 13 others like this.
  5. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Find someone else who has one, however you do it, and try Beam. Just hold the two devices back to back and tap the screen of the one you want to share from. Hey presto, the photo, app, maps place page, game, contact, anything is transferred across. It's not totally instant but it is very cool.
    Muqtar likes this.
  6. Slayerx

Slayerx Active Member

Thanks very cool :)
  7. Unforgiven

I think I heard that if you say Google it will bring up voice search.
  8. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

I was initially frustrated at the need to have a settings app (it's not an app I know) on the home screen to access settings. I just realised that if you swipe down from the top as you would to access notifications and you can access settings from there (the slider bars). Also you can lock the auto-rotate from there.
    I still don't know what's wrong with just having a static menu button but maybe I'll get used to it.
    jamb046 likes this.
  9. Unforgiven

In the app tray at the top of the screen is a link to the Play store. Also, you can switch between apps and widgets.
  10. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Just while holding it? Without pressing anything?
  11. Unforgiven

Elefantes, wyzird, godsdragon and 3 others like this.
  12. mzbagasra

mzbagasra Member

Hi,

Is there way to get facebook widget more then 4 x 2? btw screen capture doesn't work.

Originally Posted by CarsnGadgets
    Here is one:

Press volume down and the power button to take a screen shot on the Nexus 7.
  13. Unforgiven

I believe on some widgets you can long press and then resize them. I know if ICS I can do that with the stack widget for the Phandroid app.

Regarding the screenshot trick you have to press them simultaneously and hold for ~1 second. you will hear a camera click and a quick photo animation and get a notification in the status bar.

I hope this helps.:)
  14. viffer800

viffer800 Well-Known Member

godsdragon, nynvolt and Atma like this.
  15. The_Gnome_

The_Gnome_ Well-Known Member

Press and hold on the home software button to be able to launch Google Now from anywhere.
  16. Synergic

Synergic Member

jlheureux and CarsnGadgets like this.
  17. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Don't forget to tell now to do a barrel roll.

I actually did this with my voice.
    walpow, ozzy8160, Sylon and 2 others like this.
  18. ssick92

ssick92 Well-Known Member

This is so far the best tip. Pretty damn funny how Google throws random easter eggs everywhere
  19. Unforgiven

I just noticed a settings icon at the right end of the volume bar. When you click it it allows you to adjust the notification volume separate from the other volumes. :)
    Cath201, Vuirich, godsdragon and 2 others like this.
  20. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Uninstall apps just by long pressing them in the apps tray and dragging them to the top of the screen.
  21. weeevil

weeevil New Member

Jelly Bean asteroid game:

Settings / About Phone / ... tap 3 times fast on the 'Android Version' label, then, tap once on red jelly bean to see face and finally press and hold screen for the game!
    Chappie, therocque, jlheureux and 6 others like this.
  22. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums weeevil. :ciao:

Thanks for the Easter Egg. :D
    SimonPG likes this.
  23. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member

How do I switch between apps? On my other Droid, I long-press the Home button, then choose from most recently used. Thanks.
  24. giomasterg

giomasterg Well-Known Member

Press the button to the right of the home button the one with 2 squares. It will bring up all of your recent apps
  25. Unforgiven

You can close apps by swiping them off the stack. It isn't a force close though.
    calbearz24 likes this.