• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean update - Dummies Guide

Just so that I am clear... you connected your phone to the PC suite, Kies, and successfully updated to JB and when the phone rebooted to complete the installation it did not boot up after about 10 minutes and so you disconnected it from the USB. I assume you had a fully charged battery before the update was started. Now your phone will not boot up at all?

Upvote 0
Hello,
I am currently running stock Gingerbread 2.3.6 on my Samsung Galaxy SII I9100. I want to update to stock Jelly Bean and will probably flash the Spain or Nordic Countries version. My question is this:
1) Will I need to change my CSC after I update? My location is in Egypt so my CSC code differs from the Spanish one.
2) Will changing my CSC allow me to receive updates in the future?
3) How can I check if the Jelly Bean baseband version is compatible with my carrier?
4) Will changing my CSC allow me access to the Spanish Play Store?

I have been using Market Enabler for over a year now and it has stopped working last week. Rebooting and changing area, clearing Play Store data and trying again does not work. Has Google started checking IPs too? I know these questions have probably been asked before but I was unable to find a complete answer for this.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Just so that I am clear... you connected your phone to the PC suite, Kies, and successfully updated to JB and when the phone rebooted to complete the installation it did not boot up after about 10 minutes and so you disconnected it from the USB. I assume you had a fully charged battery before the update was started. Now your phone will not boot up at all?
Except for the PC Suite thing. The battery was about half-full and was charging. I was not having any interaction with the computer.

I pressed Install on the Android notification thing, and it downloaded and said it would reboot. It did not boot up again after that.

And since that I haven't been able to turn on the phone.

I should add that when I now put the charger in my phone, the phone does not show the charging animation it usually does.

Upvote 0
Hello,
I am currently running stock Gingerbread 2.3.6 on my Samsung Galaxy SII I9100. I want to update to stock Jelly Bean and will probably flash the Spain or Nordic Countries version. My question is this:
1) Will I need to change my CSC after I update? My location is in Egypt so my CSC code differs from the Spanish one.
2) Will changing my CSC allow me to receive updates in the future?
3) How can I check if the Jelly Bean baseband version is compatible with my carrier?
4) Will changing my CSC allow me access to the Spanish Play Store?

I have been using Market Enabler for over a year now and it has stopped working last week. Rebooting and changing area, clearing Play Store data and trying again does not work. Has Google started checking IPs too? I know these questions have probably been asked before but I was unable to find a complete answer for this.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums the1eyedsnake! :)

Lets see if we can answer your questions...

1. If you wish to after the update, see here, although there is no need. Otherwise you could just re-flash your Egyptian ICS firmware...

2. ... if and when JB is released for your original, Egyptian, CSC code to allow Kies to update you to JB. If you do not, you will have to flash future updates via Odin as your phone will not be recognised by Kies. See #1.7.

3. You can't until you flash it or find someone on your carrier who already has. If you were rooted you could swap modems, see here. It should be compatible unless your carrier uses a, "T", variant modem.

4. Not as far as I am aware as I am given to understand that the Play Store relies on more than just a CSC code. Might be worth posting this question in the general part of the forum.

Upvote 0
Except for the PC Suite thing. The battery was about half-full and was charging. I was not having any interaction with the computer.

I pressed Install on the Android notification thing, and it downloaded and said it would reboot. It did not boot up again after that.

And since that I haven't been able to turn on the phone.

I should add that when I now put the charger in my phone, the phone does not show the charging animation it usually does.

Can you get into Download mode? See Step #1 in post #2, here.

Reactions: pgdx
Upvote 0
I have SII I9100, with CSC: OJPLPH for Egypt. Is there a firmware on "SamMobile Firmware Page" that I can install and will have the Arabic language pack available ?
If there is, where can I find the url for explaining the installation via Odin in details?

Thanks in advance.

Msief the info you require is on the first post of this topic

Please read all items in posts #1, #2 and #3 carefully and thoroughly as they should answer most of your update queries. Particularly post #3 as this has, "Tips for using this Dummies Guide".

This thread is only for the Jelly Bean, (JB), Android 4.1.*, update for...

Samsung Galaxy SII, GT-i9100, GT-i9100M, GT-i9100P, GT-i9100T, GT-i9100G

#1.7. My CSC code is not eligible for JB yet but I want it now!

You do not have to wait for JB to be released for your CSC code. You can install, via PC software called Odin, any of the released stock Samsung firmwares, for your model version, shown in post #2.

Stock, official, Samsung Galaxy S2 firmware can be downloaded from the SamMobile Firmware Page, after registering, by entering either "i9100, i9100G, i900M, i9100T, i9100P" in the Search box on the page followed by your CSC code, (i9100***). To see all firmware releases for your model of phone, just omit the CSC code.

For step-by-step instructions on installing firmware via Odin, see here. Ignore the ICS file that they suggest you download and use the official JB firmwares mentioned above.

This is for competent users and will void your warranty, if you have one, by flashing a firmware other than that intended for your original CSC code as well as negating future updates through Kies.

Upvote 0
I have SII I9100, with CSC: OJPLPH for Egypt. Is there a firmware on "SamMobile Firmware Page" that I can install and will have the Arabic language pack available ?
If there is, where can I find the url for explaining the installation via Odin in details?

Thanks in advance.

For details of the various language packs contained in the official releases, see the link in #1.1.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much scotty001 and ironass, I visited the 1.1 item and followed the link saying " For the language packs included in the various stock releases, see, here" but could not still be sure , specially this page is talking about ROMs in 2009.
However, the letters JV,JP and JR say it contains Arabic, should I look for any of those combination in the name of the ROM ?

One more thing please, the sammobile.com requires ID and PW. There is no way to register as I am prohibited from getting to the site.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much scotty001 and ironass, I visited the 1.1 item and followed the link saying " For the language packs included in the various stock releases, see, here" but could not still be sure , specially this page is talking about ROMs in 2009.
However, the letters JV,JP and JR say it contains Arabic, should I look for any of those combination in the name of the ROM ?

One more thing please, the sammobile.com requires ID and PW. There is no way to register as I am prohibited from getting to the site.

The wanamlite ROM contains arabic language packs but this will require you rooting your phone first, see here

Galaxy S2 Archives

Upvote 0

That's right. The CSC code will be OJV or OJP or OJR when it is eventually released for Jelly Bean.

This site also publishes Samsung Stock Firmware downloads. You may be able to access this. SamMobile has been down for maintenance for almost 24 hours.

Reactions: mseif
Upvote 0
Thank you very much. I have visited the site and read the features. Can you help answering the following:
1-Kies support . Does this mean my device will not be rooted during the installation ?
2- Stocks Arabic font ( Optional) . How can I get this option?
3- Arabic right to left fix ( optional) . How can I get this option ?

As this is off topic it might be a good idea to post your question in the, All Things Root, section of the forum. ;)

Upvote 0
Lol i think that was more or a rant / statement rather than a "true" question. :p

:D

Hence my tongue-in-cheek reply regarding #1.8...

I'm sorry to say that all the moaning, whinging, whining and throwing teddy bears out of cots... won't bring it any quicker. Thinking back to previous Android releases, this is no different I'm afraid!
;)

The fact of the matter is that both with ICS and JB, it doesn't actually pay to get it first. People think that an ICS or JB firmware release is one entity when in-fact it changes from location to location and carrier to carrier and is constantly evolving and being updated, with bugs fixed and features refined.

The first release of ICS was version LPQ which everyone clamoured for but was, in fact, not very good and bit-by-bit had to be updated for most users.

The versions of JB already released so far, are LS4, LS8, LSD, LSF, LSH, LSJ and now, the latest, MS1.

The first release, chronologically, was LS8 for Spain, (FOP), which was rapidly replaced some two weeks later by LSD. I really don't think that users want to be updating their phones too often. However, having used LS8, LSD and LSJ, I am pleased to say that they all work well. I am just about to flash MS1 to see how that fairs. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones