• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[JELLYBEAN] Likes / Dislikes?

How can I make that blanket statement? Because its the truth...my S3 has never been better than when I started running ROMs based on the leaked Verizon JB...

I understand and respect your position, now that I know you're running a non-factory ROM. For you JB works ... but for a lot of factory users it appears to have issues and I get the impression that sherrymyra is a factory user just looking for advice.

For what it's worth my opinion is to hold off unless you can accept the possibility of any (or all) of the issues described here. Prior to my GS3 I had an HTC Desire HD that took the Gingerbread update and was SO bad that I factory reset it and sold it.

Upvote 0
I understand and respect your position, now that I know you're running a non-factory ROM. For you JB works ... but for a lot of factory users it appears to have issues and I get the impression that sherrymyra is a factory user just looking for advice.

For what it's worth my opinion is to hold off unless you can accept the possibility of any (or all) of the issues described here. Prior to my GS3 I had an HTC Desire HD that took the Gingerbread update and was SO bad that I factory reset it and sold it.

Let me rephrase my statement...I've ran all three VZW JB leaks in stock and custom form...all have been brilliant

Upvote 0
Wow, good I read this as they are rolling out JB in Canada on Monday and I was going to update.

I pretty much everyday use the beam to TV feature to view videos from the phone onto my Samsung SmartTV and the built in App shows this little TV icon on the top when the video is playing if both the phone and TV are connected to same Wifi Network.

So are you saying that this feature stopped working in JB ? That is kind of lame that Samsung would not test this important feature which helps them expand their own ecosystem of products.

The latest JB update seems to have borked DLNA File Sharing on my phone, and a check on XDA seems to indicate a lot of people share my pain. Basically, what's happened is that I can no longer turn on File Sharing (Settings, More Settings, Nearby Devices)...the screen is completely disabled (grayed out...File Sharing and all other options disabled). This means I can't stream photos and video to my TV...not a big deal, but it is one of the cooler phone features and I'd like it back. A number of users on XDA have submitted workarounds including:

1. Tapping the disabled checkbox 10-20 times until it comes back on (according to this user, the problem is that the phone is enumerating through all the video, music and other files on the phone and it takes a long time...this smacks of BS and doesn't work for me in any case)

2. Going into Application Manager, selecting the All Tab, then scrolling down to Nearby Devices and clearing cache. This sounded promising to me, until I tried it and discovered that there is no Nearby Devices entry (or anything similar) in my apps list.

3. Unmounting the SD card and trying again (this is related to the story in #1, which supposedly "frees" the phone from enumerating through all the files). Didn't work.

4. Toggling WiFi on and off (also changing the sleep policy) to somehow "push" the DLNA into working. No joy.

My thought is that this is an old-fashioned garden-variety bug that needs to be corrected by an update. Until then, if anyone has a workaround they've discovered, I'm all ears.

UPDATE: I checked DLNA File Sharing under ICS and it's obvious that changes were made in JB...for example, the enable file sharing control has been changed from a slider to a checkbox. I wonder if there's a way to grab the old DLNA/file sharing APK from ICS and reinstall over JB...

Upvote 0
The only thing I haven't figured out yet is ZOOM control. The web pages, etc.. seem extremely sensitive & it's a PIA. When I scroll up or down, the pages zoom to a ridiculous level. I've got the zoom level set on normal, but, the screen just seems way too sensitive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THX!
Edit:

Apparently,this is actually a feature, whether it's SAMSUNG or the O/S, I don't know. Anyway, running your thumb/finger up & down either edge of the screen zooms the screen in & out.
I hope there's some adjustment/checkbox to kill this, it's annoying, as my thumb naturally drags along the edge of the screen when I'm scrolling.

Again, any suggestions are welcome..

THX!

Might be a browser issue. I use chrome before and after the update to jellybean and zoom operation remains the same. May be worth testing another browser to see if the issue goes away or not. If it DOES go away, maybe a clear data on the stock browser will help? Backup bookmarks first though

The zoom issues actually persist while using the PHANDROID application as well.The problem also is present in the stock browser & DOLPHIN.

I'll try clearing the data on the stock browser & see what happens.

BTW,& pardon moi for my ignorance on this zoom issue:thinking:,but,is this 'zoom feature' part of JB/Project Butter?
The reason I ask is that it seems a bit redundant(if it is indeed a feature) because the zoom controls still exist in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.

THX!:D

Pinch to zoom works in many apps and always has done. Is your issue that pinch to zoom is too sensitive now? That's what I thought. Or is it that pinch to zoom works at all? Not sure I follow now

It's too sensitive when scrolling. It's not pinch to zoom, just natural scrolling w/your thumb, especially w/one-handed scrolling, that zooms the screen, as my thumb barely rubs along the edge of the screen.

Upon further review, it seems to be the stock browser & the PHANDROID application that this is the case, especially the PHANDROID application.

I have found that using a phone case that has a lip around the outer edges of the sides of the screen prevents the accidental zooming, however, I'd like to be able to control this exaggerated zooming, if possible.

I'm sorry I don't understand. The scrolling also zooms?

Pretty much,yes.Try it out for yourself.Run your finger along the edge of the phone & see if it zooms.That's what mine does w/the stock browser & PHANDROID app.

If I scroll directly in the middle of the screen,it doesn't zoom,but,if I scroll anywhere near the edge of the screen,the screen image zooms.

I can't reproduce this.

Thank you for looking into it.If I get tired of the zooming issue,& can't narrow down the cause,I may just do the dreaded FDR & see if that clears it up.

Either way,I'll post back here & give an update.

Once again,thanks for all your efforts.:D

mine is doing the same thing.

I re-flashed the update (from another source),& still have the exaggerated ZOOM issues.I'm hoping there's a bug fix for this soon.

Until then,I'll just avoid using the apps that have the ZOOM issue (stock browser,the PHANDROID application & the official e-Bay application).

Have you tried a factory reset? That can clear up a lot of post ota issues

The zoom thing with the browser when sliding on the sides...yeah I hate that. Battery has been bad for me. Besides those things I really like JB so far.

+1

BTW, have you tried a Factory Data Reset to attempt to rid this strange ZOOM issue?
I myself haven't (yet), but I've re-flashed the update from different links & it still persists.Neither did I perform an FDR before the original flash from ICS to JELLY BEAN, & the problem didn't exist pre-JELLY BEAN.
Once the JELLY BEAN roll-out is out to the masses(on SPRINT),I'll report this bug to SAMSUNG.

EDIT:

Just noticed the stock e-mail application has this strange ZOOM issue as well, along w/both PHANDROID applications, e-Bay application & stock browser.

My phone just started doing that too. I updated a few days ago with the T-Mobile update. Not really a huge deal, but it does get annoying from time to time. I hope Samsung release a fix for this.

I have since performed an FDR & the problem still persists.Earlier today,I got on SAMSUNG's website & reported this bug,along w/the call duration times being absent.

Otherwise,after a month on ANDROID 4.1.1 (stock/unrooted/SPRINT) ,everything else seems cool w/me.:D

Upvote 0
Hmmm ... I'm wanting to hold off until I see what gremlins lurk inside JB from Telus. If I don't take the OTA update will I be able to get it from Telus' website later?

I could not resist the urge to play something "new" (well like 6 months old), so download that crappy Kies to a Windows PC and after a few failed attempts finally got it to recognize that the GS3 was connected and did the firmware upgrade today morning.

So far I am happy. The first thing I test was the TV icon when playing a video and it is there and works fine. So not sure what the problem was that the other user had complained about.

The fluidity of graphics when moving between home screens and the new live folder icons and how the folder opens to reveal the contents, like that. So far looks great, but it has been only like 3 hours, so have to see how the battery life holds up with Google now running.

Upvote 0
I upgraded my unbranded phone last night and am fairly unimpressed so far (though this may be samsung, not jb per se).

I am most irritated by the way that when I wake up the phone using the home key it takes me to my homescreen, not just to what i was doing before it turned off.

I can't see many benefits so far.

That is a setting that you have checked. You have the option to "always unlock to home screen" checked. Uncheck this and you will be taken directly to whatever was on screen when you locked the device. Can't remember where the setting is but once changed you won't unlock to home anymore.

I have not been able to find this setting, can someone please help?

Upvote 0
Thanks for weighing in Luthor.... I do appreciate it. I guess I'm just a bit gun shy after my HTC experience. I don't mean to come across like some doomsayer but I think it's worth it to do some homework and review the pro's and cons.

+1 here...the ICS sandwich pretty much ruined my HTC so I'm a little nervous when it comes to updating my brand new SGIII to JB.

Upvote 0
+1 here...the ICS sandwich pretty much ruined my HTC so I'm a little nervous when it comes to updating my brand new SGIII to JB.

Agreed .... ICS made my HTC experience SO frustrating that I factory re-set it and sold it! Looking back, there was a TON of evidence tht ICS negatively affected, in my case, the HTC Desire HD. I just didn't know about it or even that I needed to look for it. So this time, with a great new phone and JB looming on the horizon, I researched what others were experiencing with the update. What I found was a short list of issues that seemed to be sporadic and isolated .... unlike the dozens of identical issues created by the ICS update on the HTC.

So Evo, for what it's worth, I'm completely happy with the JB update to my GS3. It's faster, smoother, and seems to be just what they bill it as .... a better user experience.

Good luck!

OUB. :)

Upvote 0

I am most irritated by the way that when I wake up the phone using the home key it takes me to my homescreen, not just to what i was doing before it turned off .....

I checked multiple App screens and their associated sub-screens and mine alsways goes back last screen I was on, not the Home Screen ....

Is anyone else experiencing what Wooster is ? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I am. I'm not using a lock screen.

For example, I could be on chrome or any other app for that matter. I then leave the gs3 alone for a few minutes and it goes to sleep. If I wake it up with the home button, it wakes up to the home screen. But if I had woken it up using the power button, it would have woken up to chrome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones