1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Jeopardy! HD not compatible with Mom's tablet?

1. PacificaBren

PacificaBren Well-Known Member

So right now I'm in the process of loading the Zenithink C71 Upgrade I got my mom for Christmas with games she would enjoy. She's a huge Jeopardy! fan, so naturally I want to put the official Jeopardy! Android app on her tablet.

Only problem is regardless of whether I try Jeopardy! for Android phones or Jeopardy! HD (specifically for tablets), I get a message telling me it's incompatible with this device, which shows up as "ZTPad ICS."

This is a brand new tablet with a dual core processor, 1GB RAM, 7 inch screen, and, of course, ICS. So what could be the problem? Is there some way I can trick the Play Store into thinking I'm using a different device and letting me download the game? Or would that just be stupid to even try?

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2, and according to the Play Store, Jeopardy! is compatible with it. But I'm guessing there's no way of downloading it onto that phone and then transferring it to the tablet without major headaches, is there? Especially since this isn't a free game.

Advertisement
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Almost certain it's a problem that the Zenithink is an off-brand cheapo Chinese device from Shenzhen. It's probably not even Google approved "with Google".

Unknown specs, dev hasn't tested for compatibility, etc. So it just gets listed as incompatible by the Play Store for that particular "HD" game. Even though it may work in theory.
  3. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Most likely, it's a screen resolution issue. Have you tried contacting the app developer? Sometimes there's a simple fix on their side or a beta that they may allow you access to. Worth a try. A more extreme solution might be rooting and running a rom that changes the device id allowing more app compatibility. On the Nook Tablet, without changing the id even when rooted, there are tons of apps missing from the play store.

APK extraction, especially for paid apps is a sticky subject around here. There's no way to get around it that isn't breaking copyright law or a TOS, which will also get a thread closed.
    mikedt likes this.
  4. PacificaBren

This thing came with the Play Store fully functional right from the factory, for what it's worth. I'm not sure whether that has any bearing on whether it's "Google approved," though.
  5. PacificaBren

Thanks! I'm new to all this, so I don't know whether I should attempt rooting and running a ROM, especially if there's a likelihood I might mess everything up. Still, if there's an easy way to make the Play Store think this is a more mainstream device, that does sound like a good idea.

As for the app developer, that's Sony Pictures Entertainment. I wonder if they're not too big and impersonal to respond to my request? I'll give it a try...
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

More than likely Zenithink just shoved the Play Store on there. Sometimes the Shenzhen manufacturers don't even bother to test if things work properly or not. Basically because, 1) Google doesn't have anything to do with Android in China, 2) The manufacturer doesn't really care anyway.

It does, see above comments. That's why your Samsung more than likely has "with Google" written on it somewhere, and the Chinese Zenithink does not. It's got "Made in China", and not much else.
  7. PacificaBren

Damn, if I'd known about this issue, maybe I would have spent another $60 and gotten my mother a Kindle Fire or something.

Oh well, she doesn't even know she's getting a tablet for Christmas, and she has no expectations, so it's not like she'll suffer disappointment about not having Jeopardy! or Wheel of Fortune on there.

I'm just trying to load the thing up with stuff she'll like so she finds it compelling enough that she'll be willing to overcome her technophobia and learn how to use the thing.
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

9. PacificaBren

Thanks, I'll check it out. Too bad I didn't check it out before making this purchase, but oh well.
  10. colobuckeye

colobuckeye Active Member

my mom had the same problem
  11. PacificaBren

Somebody told me there may be a setting I an get into to change this tablet's device ID without having to go to the extreme of rooting it or using an alternate ROM.

Does anybody know anything about this? Is there a setting I can change so it reports itself as some more common brand of tablet?
  12. PacificaBren

Note that I do understand "device ID" may not be precisely the term I'm looking for. But I think you know what I'm getting at.
  13. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I believe the device-ID is a unique random number that's generated when the device is first booted after a hard-reset. To identify an individual Android device to Google Play. Rather than identifying a manufacturer or model number. The manufacturer and model number that Play also uses, might be hard-coded into the ROM.