• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JH7 Firmware Upgrade Successful Through Kies

I gave up on Mini Kies - after two hours of troubleshooting I reinstalled Kies 1.5.3 - it works for me every time I plug the phone in.. not sure why there is so many issues with this software..

That's funny, I had to do the exact opposite. Kies 1.5.3 worked once for me and since then refused to see my phone. So I uninstalled it and installed Kies-mini and it found my phone immediately, I just had to set it to Debugging.

Upvote 0
Once you get any recent version of Kies to work I suggest leaving it alone. Don't upgrade to a newer version unless there's a compelling feature that's been added. Even then, I'd perform a full backup of my hard disk to have something to revert to if the update proves "challenging."

I have Kies_1.5.3.10083_66.exe installed and stroke it every day to keep it happy (can I write that?)

Upvote 0
Well I removed Superuser (root) and BusyBox and reverted to my backup copy of settings.db. I then did a factory reset - trying to get my phone back to as close to stock as possible. When I click "Firmware Upgrade" I get a message that says "The device does not support Firmware Upgrade"

Any ideas why? Even after all this I still can't get the OTA update to work.

Upvote 0
Well I removed Superuser (root) and BusyBox and reverted to my backup copy of settings.db. I then did a factory reset - trying to get my phone back to as close to stock as possible. When I click "Firmware Upgrade" I get a message that says "The device does not support Firmware Upgrade"

Any ideas why? Even after all this I still can't get the OTA update to work.

Are you running a custom ROM?

Upvote 0
Question
I connected my new Samsung I897 to my computer using KIES and and it asked for up grade, I opted for it and later a message appeared upgrade failed and restart yr phone.
Phone did not boot up, since than I am trying to use Emergency recovery as by pressing both volume buttons and connecting USB cabel. But every time phone only swith on with computer icon appear on phone. Please help

Upvote 0
Question
I connected my new Samsung I897 to my computer using KIES and and it asked for up grade, I opted for it and later a message appeared upgrade failed and restart yr phone.
Phone did not boot up, since than I am trying to use Emergency recovery as by pressing both volume buttons and connecting USB cabel. But every time phone only swith on with computer icon appear on phone. Please help

Are you talking about the the screen that lets you clear cache and reinstall packages? If so just Reinstall packages. if you are not getting that screen the three button method does still work in alot of cases people are just not doing it wrong. To get to the factory reset, pull the battery and reinstall then hold down both volume rockers and press the power as soon as the first screen comes on let go of the power only. You may need to try this a couple of times. I would recommend odin3 but if your USB settings are not set to debug it most likely will not see your phone.

Upvote 0
Ok, this worked perfectly for me. I was unable to get the jh7 via FOTA and spent several fruitless hours with online chat support at both at&t and samsung.

My PC is relatively new and clean, 32 bit Win7. Kies installed flawlessly, signaled the upgrade and it went in smooth.

I really appreciate the efforts of those who blazed this path!!

Upvote 0
@ born_fisherman
please let me know how you did it..i have the samsung kies 1.5.3 but i receive that "MSC.Thunder.Firmwareupdate has stopped working" error message. i appreciate any help that you can provide

Had this problem on Win7 64 & XP SP3. I have the AT&T SGH-i897
After hitting this error a dozen times, and sorting through countless forums, I finally got it to work after seeing the Kies Mini threads.

I didn't realize Kies is not supported officially for use in North America.
I installed Kies Mini (works only on 32 bit systems) and in 2 steps had JH7.

Kies Mini Download:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...0737296/Kies_Mini_For_Captivate_10082_8_1.exe

Thanks everyone for helping come up with solutions for a thing that clearly has unclear manufacturer guides. :)

Upvote 0
I hope this helps someone. Until yesterday Kies would not work on my Windows 7 64 bit. (And let's not even talk about Kies Mini, which is maxi problematic for me.)

My particular problem was that "MTP application" drivers would not install when I connected the phone by usb in Kies mode. Was at my wit's end having wasted lots of time trying all the fixes that are being suggested. Then last night I came across a thread in XDA forums (google "MTP application" AND driver), that resolved my problem.

According to that thread, Windows does not like to connect to the phone via MTP when there are file extensions on the internal sd that are extra long - 16 or more characters. I went through every file and folder and deleted anything with an overly long extension. This did not cause any problems on the phone as all the bad files were from images or certain market apps (Skyfire was one culprit). Once I did this and rebooted the phone, everything worked flawlessly and I was able to update my firmware.

I'm sure this will not work for everyone, as there seem to be many, many issues with Kies. But I hope it helps some.

DW

Upvote 0
i cant even get kies to run. it shows up in the taskbar but when i try to open it i get this:
FATAL ERROR:
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. Error at object 'label1' in markup file
'MSC.Thunder.UI;component/controls/exceptionpopup.xaml'.

its really frustrating cuz i would like to get it working :(

running windows XP

Hi Sero and all others having this problem...

I have had this issue for a while now and have been searching for an answer! I happened to come by your post and see you have not been helped either...

i went to Kies - Software & Manuals - Support - Samsung Mobile India and read

".Net Framework 3.5 is required for Windows XP(32/64bit), Vista(32/64bit) to install Samsung Kies."
Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

i installed it and now am running Kies no problem... Good luck and i hope this resolves your problem!

Upvote 0
I just got the phone should I install this program and update?

I just received my replacement phone 5 days ago.
I looked in the About Phone under settings and noticed it was I897UCJH7.
One thing I noticed was that under my connection options was PC Internet Connection. So I could tether directly by selecting this under USB connections.
When I connected to Kies, I saw this update available stating that it was JH7, I went ahead and updated and no more PC Internet connection.
I have not noticed anything else but I would suggest checking your current version and if you're already at JH7, don't bother.
I know there are work arounds, it was just nice to have it pop up as an option on USB connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones