JH7 update and root...will it break?

Last Updated:

1. Jirv311

Jirv311 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Just curious if this JH7 update that's being pushed OTA will cause me any problems if I'm rooted with one-click-lag-fix? Anybody know?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Prim8

Prim8 Well-Known Member

I was rooted and I updated today and my root stayed intact. I also had One Click Lag Fix and assume it's still intact as my Quadrant score is still in the 2200s.

3. ChapelJuice

ChapelJuice Member

Same, rooted using the original non-one click method (i don't have any lag fixes either), and it works just fine. I still have my superuser permissions app, so looks like it works and keeps root. Go for it!

4. Jirv311

Jirv311 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Awesome, very good to hear. Thanks to the both of you!

5. Thuneau

Thuneau Member

I just took a chance and ran the update after having the One Click Lag Fix previously installed and it went through with no problems. GPS took about 40 seconds to lock on for the first time, and it was initially confused as to which direction I was walking on my street, but it all eventually clicked together and it tracked me very well as I walked around few blocks. My Quadrant score went from 2208 last time I ran it to 2281 after the update. So far it seems all is well with the phone.

6. ohbaby714

ohbaby714 Member

I was rooted with unleash the beast with one lag click, and could not update to save my life. I tried to do it over the air and it kept failing for me, and i keep changing the date but get the same result.
    After a long research, i found what i need to do here:
    I897UCJH7 - OTA System, Kernel, Modem - Clockwork Flashable - Rooted - Page 5 - xda-developers

But before i can do the odin, i need to remove the one clicklag fix (v2) which i was able to perform right from the OCLG program. This took a while, just be patient.
    Once removed, i use odin to set it back and then follow the clockwork methods as stated on xda forum.
    The new firmware was update with superuser program but was not fully rooted until you install Busybox. I was able to get that on the app store.
    Thank to Titanium backup, after rooted i restore everything and i'm now back to normal.

7. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

So no one seems to know exactly WHAT is causing the update to fail? I'm rooted and set to sideload apps. I've got Titanium Backup installed and I've removed the AT&T bloatware apps. Other than that I haven't done anything else to the phone. I can't imagine what's causing the update to fail. Maybe there's an update to one of the AT&T apps and it's failing because it's not there anymore?

8. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

9. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer

10. haison

haison Active Member

i updated while rooted and with one click lag fix but it failed after 50%. Baseband version updated but the build number didn't. So I went and flashed the stock ROM with the update with ClockworkMod Recovery and installed everything over again. Kind of wish I know why it failed.

11. ronaldramsayii

Yep its been happening. I have the update itself with root....its been deodexed already, sine I'm working on a ROM. I can post it if anyone is interested. Its basically stock with root access, removed AT&T's stuff. I can post it if anyone is interested.....just let me know....

12. Chief714

Chief714 Well-Known Member

How are you getting such a high quadrant score?? I am only stock (because I'm afraid to brick my new phone and screw myself) and I'm only hitting 981.

13. jburbrink

jburbrink Member

When I attempt to undo OneClickLagFix V1+, an error says I have only 276mb free on RFS, but 295mb used on EXT2. Where do I free up space to undo it?

I ask b/c I've read that having an unrooted, un lag fixed phone will have a better opportunity to get update, which has failed x 3 for me so far. Thanks.

14. ronaldramsayii

The Quadrant Standard app isn't all to accurate as what people think they may be. There's ways of tricking it to get high results. I don't know how to do it, but I've heard from people like Koush, the guy who made ROM Manager and Clockworkmod recovery. It can be manipulated. Don't base your results off of this phone. Although the Captivate is very well capable of running scores in the 2000s, I can't see it until Froyo comes out when JIT is enabled.

15. Pierre3408

Pierre3408 New Member

I'm having a problem updating as well. Keep getting "The update was not completed. No update was applied to your phone"
    In addition, any time I click software update now, all I get is "No Firmware"

I used this thread "How to remove almost every trace of AT&T"
    http://androidforums.com/captivate-tips-tricks/133185-how-remove-almost-every-trace-t.html
    to root my phone, enable side loading of apps, and emulate a T-mobile sim card using "market access" app.

So, If your ROM will solve the problem, I'm sure there are plenty others with the same problem as me. Please provide a link!