• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JI5 available on Samsung KIES

That's correct. T-Mobile controls the firmware update. TMO Tweet claims "Due to known issues" customers should not apply update via Kies. I was managed to update at least one of my Vibrant. I do not understand what "Known issues" TMO is referring, except that older version of Kies (version 1..5.1) can be used. The newer Kies version 1.5.3 was unable to apply firmware update. This shows Samsung lousy and inapt programmers who code more bugs in the newer versions.
At least update via Kies was less risky then ODIN. On the other hand, the update fixed GPS and most of the known issues and lags. My Vibrant now behaves like it should have been.

Man T-mobile need to step up their game I mean I really want my vibrant to be dead on with updates by the time G2 comes out.

I mean it sucks that the Vibrant is the best phone they have had as of yet and they are delaying the updates for reasons I do not know of.

Upvote 0
my gps seems to work very well right out of the box (2 weeks now)what else are they trying to do or upgrade i continue to hear off froyo 2.2,could someone in layman terms explain what that is or does or means. thanks

How often have you used your GPS? Have you used in densely populated areas, like NYC or Boston downtown? It drove me nut by loosing signal almost every 2nd or 3rd minutes, I had to pull over at the next gas station, then restart Google Navigation or TeleNav again to get the signal. It also looses GPS Sat signal on highway under clear sky. Try using it for a long drive, it will frustrate you; I can bet on it. All the network applications were having lags. My Yahoo mail was often not automatically pulled. After I updated the firmware last night, all the push mails work like a charm. The stock Android on Vibrant was one of the buggiest software I had ever experienced from any vendor. I still wonder why TMO and/or Samsung did not get sued by class action law suites.

Upvote 0
Not an official update. Samsung says that it will be "soon."

As long as it lasted, it was official -- officially direct from Samsung, not from T-Mobile.

And just to correct the record, it was not Samsung, but T-Mobile, that said "soon" about the OTA. To be even more precise, the T-Mobile tweet only said it would be "announced soon."

Words matter.

Upvote 0
As long as it lasted, it was official -- officially direct from Samsung, not from T-Mobile.

And just to correct the record, it was not Samsung, but T-Mobile, that said "soon" about the OTA. To be even more precise, the T-Mobile tweet only said it would be "announced soon."

Words matter.

Actually, you are not correcting the record. I wasn't referring to the Tmo tweet. I spoke with a Samsung level 3 (Premier SGS) support rep this morning regarding the pulling of JI5 etc. He advised me that the update was being edited but couldn't specify a release date but his "best guess" was that we should see an OTA in a week from Tmo.

The unofficial update I was referring to when I said "not an official update" is the one that w_bovine referenced in his post (#81) above:
A file can still be downloaded (download site, not Samsung) and flashed via ODIN if one is comfortable doing that.

I say "not official" because this update is no longer coming through Samsung Kies software. So yes, I agree with you "words matter" - just to set the record straight.

Upvote 0
Actually, you are not correcting the record. I wasn't referring to the Tmo tweet. I spoke with a Samsung level 3 (Premier SGS) support rep this morning regarding the pulling of JI5 etc. He advised me that the update was being edited but couldn't specify a release date but his "best guess" was that we should see an OTA in a week from Tmo.

The unofficial update I was referring to when I said "not an official one" is the one that w_bovine referenced in his post (#81) above:

I say "unofficial" because this is no longer coming through Kies.

Its TMO so add another week to that week lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones