Jit

JIT

1. Good all around

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Not good at all

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Mixed reviews (good on some ROMs, etc)

13 vote(s)
    52.0%

Last Updated:

1. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Your results with JIT?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Detecting the benefits of JIT on xtrROMs seems difficult because these ROMs are quite fast as is.

I've had JIT enabled for quite some time, then disabled it to compare and I must say I'm not sure if it's needed.

3. zylk33

zylk33 Member

I hear ya Frisco, I had JIT enabled when I was running white widow 4.6 and I didn't see any difference. I am now running xtr4.0.4 and its crazy fast without JIT!!!!

4. Hercules

Hercules Well-Known Member

I tried JIT on XTR 3.0.3 and it seemed to make the phone jittery. Even moving from screen to screen and opening apps was not as smooth.

5. Stagnation

Stagnation Well-Known Member

JIT seems to works fine on 2.2 whereas it was a little flaky for me on 2.1 ROMs.

I'll try turning it off on 2.2 and see if I can notice a speed difference. I didn't notice much of anything when using it on 2.1.

Some poll options to differentiate between users using JIT on 2.1 vs. 2.2 might be interesting.

6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I turned it off on XTR and did not notice any difference (except in Linpack.) I don't use Pandora, I don't play games, so I really don't care if it's on or off. I left it off on XTR, I leave it on in Froyo, and so far, everything is just fine.

7. Frisco

I think you've got the right formula for JIT; useful on 2.2, not needed on fast 2.1 ROMs, and problematic with some apps such as Pandora (Pandora is mentioned by the xtrROM dev as not playing nice with JIT enabled).

The Linpack numbers, once again, show themselves as being a lot less relevant than user experience. ;)

8. nathanirwin311

nathanirwin311 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am running xtr4.0.4 and i have jit on. It seems a little faster to me than with it off but maybe it is subliminal because with jit off i get linpack scores around 2.2 and with jit on I get around 3.6 pretty consistently. I leave it on because it has not caused any problems for me with the apps that i run. You guys notice any other minuses to jit than it not playing nice with some apps?

9. Praetorian

Praetorian Well-Known Member

I had it turned on when I first moved to the XTRSense ROM but have left it off while I've been using 4.x and see no difference. However, I am now using Cache 2 SD and app 2 SD.

10. L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul Well-Known Member

I definitely notice a difference on 2.2 roms. Jit takes a few runs of the program to really optimize but it really speeds up apps as you use them more. On 2.1 I found it more of a problem then it was worth.

11. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I've never noticed a difference one way or the other. I've had it on and off, and maybe I just didn't pay attention enough, but I just haven't detected a difference in speed one way or the other.

12. meanm50

meanm50 Well-Known Member

qft.

13. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

what is this JIT you speak of?

14. CrazyKnight128

CrazyKnight128 Well-Known Member

I use White Widow 4.6 and i love the rom, But with out JIT enabled its just really slow i dont know why it just is. So i have JIT on and my phone is fast and i like it.

15. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

When I was on White Widow, I turned off JIT because it caused random reboots. I have JIT enabled on KaosFroyo and every thing works great and no random reboots.

16. Frisco

JIT really does seem to be more stable on 2.2.

Also, I do not use Pandora, but I'm wondering if it works well with JIT in 2.2 as it does not in 2.1.

17. CrazyKnight128

CrazyKnight128 Well-Known Member

Im using pandora radio with JIT and WW4.6 and it works perfectly, And i use pandora everyday all day for music while i work.

18. SyDTRaKKeD

SyDTRaKKeD Well-Known Member

well... I decided to test this out and I can't vote because I have not used any other ROM besides xtrROM... but on xtr it seems that having JIT off is actually snappier than with it on...

19. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

JIT, as I recall, is kind of a memory/cpu trade-off. You get benefits in cpu intensive tasks at the expense of additional memory being required. Seeing as our phones don't have an excess of memory, your performance could be degraded. Darch was considering leaving JIT disabled by default in CM6 for the Hero iirc (I can't remember exactly tho).