Joeys kernel - easiest way to get back to just stock kernel?

Last Updated:

1. craigpicc

craigpicc Active Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 14, 2009
    OK...first of all i am new it this...i know a lot of people say this, sorry....and i think i originally posted this in wrong area, so i am reposting.

I read a lot on this and the SDX forums to get where I have got right now on my phone, which is:

1. I updated to stock 2.1 using the sprint update tool.
    2. I followed the video tutorial to root the phone
    3. then i used joey's page ( to install the his kernel (joeykrim-SDX-kernel v2.0.4 (includes root)).

I have done nothing else to the phone but this and removing a couple of bloatware apps (i checked the list of permitted deletions before i removed anything.) I have not installed a new least i dont think that I did as part of one of the other operations I performed (as an aside, i am not really sure what the custom recovery is or what it is used for, so i didnt install it...i guess i need to read up more...)

So that is where I am..but i have a couple of questions.

1) i am now having issues with my wifi connection - the signal reception is very spotty in areas where i should have atleast 2 bars of reception, and the wifi often cuts out completely....Is there any know corellation between joey's kernel and this wifi issue? I have searched the forums and have found nothing that answers this.

2) Is there an easy way to get back to the stock kernel? I have read that i can get back to stock everything by using the sprint download center where I did my original 2.1 update. But is there a way to get back to just the stock kernel without wiping the phone?

Sorry for the length of the post..thanks in advance.

2. gmjlopez

gmjlopez Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I also had wifi problems with Joey's kernel. I couldn't connect to any wifi or see it for that matter. I just flashed lighting 2.7 over Joeys and that fixed my wifi problems. You can just follow the instructions to update to 2.1 from the sprint website or put the DE03 in the binary folder and reflash using the sprint updater software.