Jsut got my Droid 2, what now?Support

Last Updated:

1. hokinabru

hokinabru Member This Topic's Starter

Mar 21, 2010
    So i jsut got my Droid 2 in the mail, first android phone. SO far loving it! Came form the blackberry tour. Love how smooth it is. Now what essentials must i download? what apps? Also what some battery optimization i could do.

2. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Test out the battery life for a few days. See if it suffices for your usage habits. As for essential apps, Facebook if you're a social butteryfly, I swear by Pandora and use it on a daily basis, Shazam is alright (I now say alright because unlimited tagging used to be free).

If you describe a little bit about what you want your phone to do for you, it would be a lot easier to pick out some apps.

If you want some battery tips, check out http://androidforums.com/droid-2-tips-tricks/157154-increased-battery-life.html
  3. Jas31483

Jas31483 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    There's a ton of apps out there now. I suggest searching youtube for videos tagged "Best Android Apps" or "Top Android Apps". There's' some great content on there of people who show off their favorite apps and what they do. To this day I still discover new apps that I never knew about, yet feel like how did I ever live without them. Haha. Good Luck and Welcome to the Android Family!
  4. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Download AppBrain App Market and use that. Much better than the Android Market. You can browse "Hot Apps" in last 24hrs and last 7 days. It's how I've found most of the cool apps I have. You can also browse from your computer with the AppBrain website and send the download to your phone.

ADW.Launcher - Much better than stock blur home. Many people like Launcher Pro. I personally like ADW better. And on Droid it would redraw much less than Launcher Pro but on Droid2 it's a non issue. Haven't had a redraw once.
    Music Mod by Elliot Stocker is awesome and amazing. Best music player app and widgets.
    MotoTorch LED or Tesla LED to use your phone as a flashlight. Tesla uses full brightness MotoTorch doesnt. Both have widgets to turn it on.
    Trillian - Best IM client on Android. Probably not in market yet. Still in testing but beats all others. Look at Trillian's website for a DL link.
    RealCalc - good scientific calculator
    Google SkyMaps
    Key Ring Rewards Card - store all your club cards so they can be scanned on your phone.
    Handcent SMS - WAYYYYY better Messaging app. Tons of customization. There's also
    Chomp SMS
    Chrome To Phone - Using addon for Google Chrome browser or Firefox and Fox to Phone addon you can send links, images, downloads directly to your phone from your computer.
    Smart Ruler
    Retro Camera
    Photoshop Express
    Adobe Reader
    StopWatch & Timer
    ShopSavvy - scan barcodes and find the lowest prices local and online
    Instant Heart Rate
    Google Earth
    CalWidget - much better calendar agenda widget than stock. There's others, personal preference on look and customization for me is CalWidget
    Jorte Calendar - TONS of different sized widgets for calendar, agenda, tasks
    Astro File Manager
    Astrid - Todo list app
    AK Notepad - simple, does the job, Evernote for more options
    Daily Strip - read daily comics. More than I even heard of.

Free Games:
    4 teh Birds
    Frozen Bubble
    Toss It

Widget Locker - widgets on home screen
    SoundHound - WAY Better than SHAZAM tags much faster and can search
    Beautiful Widgets - Nice clock and weather widget. Has skins that look like HTC Sense clock
  5. Lightnspirit

Lightnspirit Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2010
    umm, what about Bump? Gotta have Bump to Bump all those apps to your droid friends.
  6. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    As doomedromance said a new launcher would really make things nice and smooth. I like Launcher Pro. You can have 15 widgets/apps in the scrolling dock and the paid version comes with a great calendar widget as well as some other goodies.

The next thing I would do is add the power control bar to the top of your home screen. Press & long hold on empty space on home screen, and Add Widget >> Power Control. This'll let you Toggle power to Wifi / BlueTooth / GPS / Sync / Backlight brightness. A great battery saver and it puts all the controls right there on the main screen in front of you.

You can then add whatever apps you want.
    Just a few good ones that I use a lot:

Movies (great to have when you are walking through the video store looking for a rental)

Earth (Just fun, but it sucks the living daylights out of the battery)

Pandora (or some other music app)

Where ( great for finding services, restaurants, etc)

DoggCatcher (nice paid app if you like podcasts)

Battery Indicator (gives % of battery left in the top)