Juice defender issue/questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. opflame

opflame Member This Topic's Starter

I tried out the juice defender app today and I noticed that when I have Wifi enabled, it seems to keep either the 3g or EDGE network on as well (keeps both the wifi and 3g/EDGE icon on the screen.)

Is that because I am using the free version and it doesn't detect the Wifi connection?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue.

Advertisement
  2. tylerdurdin

tylerdurdin Well-Known Member

good question I am going to look into that but my I would recommend ditching juice defender, and any other life management you are running on your phone.

3. opflame

opflame Member This Topic's Starter

I think I'm going to take your advice. I uninstalled it.

4. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Why?

5. tylerdurdin

what is it that you think Juice defender is doing? These apps are all garbage that RUN in the background killing services that are cached and people are convinced they work. The truth is that, I do not understand how there can even be the amount of mixed results that there is. I was running juice defender and ATK+ when I first got my phone, at the recommendation of a bunch of people I know and convinced myself that five hours of battery life was what the phone got. I have been using linux for about six years and I should have known better. I ditched all that crap and started toggling background data and my phone is 85% after about twelve hours on most days now. I know fifty people after me will say BS you need them they work, but every person I told to kill it, has later said to me that at first they didnt think so but after about a week of no BS apps that they truly seen that they were doing nothing and in some cases using more battery, to me its almost a philosophical conundrum to believe that you need something running in the background to to tell things to stop running in the background.:confused: battery apps are really no different then taskkillers, just another leech sucking much needed blood.
    I will say to each their own if you like them cool:cool:, but I rather enjoy leaving my phone to make up its own mind, and just giving him breaks throughout the day from running my data and searching for wifi spots. Hes like my best friend:D.

6. BookLover

Are we talking about the same program? JD simply schedules my data connections. It doesn't kill any apps or processes but rather controls when they activate and/or connect to data.

I've disabled JD for now and see how my battery performs. There are some apps that I've forbidden to access mobile data altogether via JD. Now that they can connect at will, I'm thinking that will have adverse affects on my battery life. But I'll test this out for a few days and let you know if you're on or off your rocker.

7. tylerdurdin

fair enough, and you are correct as to what juice defender is doing but how different is what you said vs what I said. JD is running in the background activating and deactivating. This is clearly a background app which would be no different than leaving facebook running in the background. All these apps were designed for subpar phones with small batteries and no memory to spare, your phone will be fine;)

nancybout likes this.
  8. timbuk2

timbuk2 Well-Known Member

I've tried it twice and can't tell that it actually does anything. When it says my data (3G) data packets is off, it isn't. I'm ordering another battery, can
    barely make it through a day with normal use.

Captivate w/ 2.2 AT&T

9. BookLover

I never got through a full day withOUT JD as I don't like apps connecting to data when I'm not using them. So I turned JD back on specifically to control data access of apps.

So I can't say how or if JD is depleting my battery per se. But I do know it's limiting data connections, which is what I use JD for...not for saving my battery.