2. gibsonhtp

gibsonhtp Well-Known Member

3. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

Hmm, the press release you link to says:
    So this will cost $69.99 PLUS $10 ADDITIONAL? :mad:

4. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

Hmm...wonder if you get the $10 charge if you don't live in a 4G area...

5. pcsperson

pcsperson Well-Known Member

Some specs 4.3 inch WVGA (800 x 480) 65K colors. 1GB ROM, 512 RAM, 8 GB microSD card in the box and capable of using 32 GB microSD.

6. shawheim_a

shawheim_a Well-Known Member

im so ready! upgrade here i come!!!!

7. secretmethod70

secretmethod70 Well-Known Member

As far as I understand, the $10 Premium Data is an optional add-on for Sprint TV Premium and other extras. The Premium Data add-on isn't new for the Evo, so a quick Google search can clarify.

8. RussianVodka

RussianVodka Well-Known Member

What does 64k color look like? My current phone (Nokia e63) has a 16m color screen. Will 64k be a huge downgrade?

9. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

$10 for sprint TV who needs it. I'll pass and take the phone.

10. S00NR1

S00NR1 Well-Known Member

The $10/month additional charge for 4G I can understand....but come on Sprint, $30/month to use the mobile hotspot feature? Ridiculous! That's the same price I pay per month for my cable internet. That may have just been the fly in the ointment to keep me from switching to Sprint from AT&T and just waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S.

11. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

So now you can dump your cable. :D

12. secretmethod70

Adding $30 to Sprint's plan only makes it about the same price as a comparable AT&T plan. There's really no economic reason not to switch, even if you're using the hotspot feature.

Plus, as RoboMonkey points out above me, it's priced so high because it essentially allows you to replace that cable internet bill.

13. S00NR1

S00NR1 Well-Known Member

I thought about that but then realized that my Tivo runs off a continuous internet connection so that wouldn't work unfortunately. Not to mention the rest of the household would need the connection while I am at work.

14. defrankjs

defrankjs Member

Any word on the unsubsidized price for those of us way off from an upgrade? Or how to con Sprint into giving us an upgrade a few months early?

15. S00NR1

S00NR1 Well-Known Member

My corporation receives a nice discount from AT&T that is not offered by Sprint and unfortunately ATT's coverage is much better in my area (OKC down to DFW) than Sprint's. Trust me, I'm trying to find reasons to jump the ATT ship but the main reason had been looking for a nice Android phone, which the Evo is of course, but the Galaxy S will be as well.

See reasons above for not being able to turn off cable.

16. secretmethod70

OK, if you get a discount on AT&T's plan but not on Sprints then that makes sense. Not really Sprint's fault though. For most people - if they take the time to think about it - this pricing for the Evo very competitive.

17. hookem12387

hookem12387 Well-Known Member

Pricing killed me off the deal, too. Real bummer, I was getting excited about the phone. At least iPhone4 should also kick A__

18. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I love how these guys are quoting pricing as a bad thing, but it's still better than iPhone/ATT, while the EVO4G/Sprint is a BETTER PRODUCT, BETTER NETWORK, AND ITS STILL CHEAPER!

WTF?

19. clickclack

clickclack Well-Known Member

If $10 extra A MONTH is gonna bankrupt you then PERHAPS YOU SHOULDN'T BE LOOKING FOR A NEW PHONE!

If it's a matter of principal...I get that otherwise perhaps there are bigger things to worry about.

20. secretmethod70

Exactly. With the exception of people who have some sort of business discount with AT&T but not Sprint, the pricing for the Evo is competitive and for a better product.

21. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

And from what I understand, (still sorting stuff out, might be wrong) the $10 a month is an optional charge.

22. S00NR1

S00NR1 Well-Known Member

It's all relative. Here in OKC, we have limited Sprint 3G coverage, don't have WiMax, and aren't even included in the next round of WiMax installation cities. Whereas ATT is rapidly installing their LTE network all along I35. Is a 3G only EVO better than the 4th gen iphone getting ready to be released (or even the Galaxy S)?

23. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I'm afraid not. By the way they worded it, looks like the charge applies to all plans. $10 isn't a big deal though, like you said, you it's less than other plans. Plus think about those people in Canada who pay a $70 add-on for 5 gigs of data which is the cap of some unlimited plans here ;)

I'll still wait until Phandroid or Engadget or AC confirms it though.

24. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member

Should it turn out that the $10 fee is across the board, I'll be more annoyed on principle than because I'm worried about the actual $10. I HATE companies that advertise a really great price then slap you with extra fees. Sort of like FTE charging you $19.99 for the bouquet but $35 for delivery. I'd swallow a $79.99 / month plan with less indignation than the $10 fee.

25. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I would be interested to see what Hesse meant when he said something along the lines of "we're giving you more for free" though.