• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

June update (gets rid of low initial volume on notification, ringer, alarms?)

electricpete

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2012
Guess what... it's June ;-)

No surprise - the June images are out.

No surprise - there are again two versions (MMB30J and MOB30I) following the MMB and MOB fork that occurred a few months ago...… I stuck with later-looking MOB fork and flashed MOB30I

No surprise - there are again many "critical” security updates described here

No surprise - the "changelog" again looks cryptic … nothing of interest I can discern

Ah, but here’s a surprise. The stock images used to include a feature where alarms, ringtones and even notifications were very low volume for the first two seconds. I didn’t like it ( If you don’t hear the soft ringer, it means you have two seconds less to answer your phone…. and most notifications sounds barely work because they are less than two seconds). So I used to modify my system after every update to fix this. But as of the June update, it seems to be already fixed. More details in my discussion of item #5 in today's post on this thread.

Just to confirm my suspicions, I’m interested if anyone else is noticing anything
different about the behavior of notifications / ringtones / alarms (no longer soft for the first two seconds) after installing the June update​

Last edited:
Reactions: jj14x
I'll be interested to hear your results since that sound behavior change really surprised me. I thought Google had long ago given up tinkering on minor items for this phone.

I have a feeling maybe the change was a side effect of addressing "Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability in Qualcomm Sound Driver" mentioned in the June security bulletin. The file system/vendor/etc/audio_effects.conf (which had not changed in the 5 months I've been editing it following monthly updates) is suddenly a lot different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did anyone get two separate updates yesterday. I got one in the morning which I didn't check till the afternoon, I thought it was the June security update and being as I was headed out, I didn't brother with it. I clicked on it yesterday afternoon and it said something May patch security or something.
I went through the installation process which took a while. Then almost five minutes I get a second notice for an update, this one being the June security update

Upvote 0
Did anyone get two separate updates yesterday. I got one in the morning which I didn't check till the afternoon, I thought it was the June security update and being as I was headed out, I didn't brother with it. I clicked on it yesterday afternoon and it said something May patch security or something.
I went through the installation process which took a while. Then almost five minutes I get a second notice for an update, this one being the June security update
I don't get OTA's, but seems similar to what was described here

....[UPDATE 6/13]: The June security update has now started rolling out to Project Fi Nexus 6 users. N6 users - you might receive two updates over the next few days. If you still had not received the May security update, then you will receive May (build number: MOB30 + June: MOB30M). The June security update should be out to 100% of N6 users by Wednesday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones