• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Just a note for anyone who pulls the user's phone number from the system...

GasBot

Nov 7, 2008
If your app pulls the user's phone number, make sure you check if that number is null or not. There seems to be a great number of user's who are using old SIM cards and the Android OS has a problem pulling the phone number so it's just blank (user's can check this by going to Settings -> About phone -> Status and looking at the phone number field). If everything's working you should see your phone number in there, but like I said there are quite a few who's fields are blank.

Anyways, to fix this issue the user will need to call into T-Mobile's PDA Support department and have them do a MSSDN update over the air. This will reassociate the phone number with the SIM card and will cure this issue. Either that or swap out to a newer SIM, but the OTA update is faster.

Just a little heads up for my fellow developers out there.

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with TMobile, Blackberry support (guess they don't have G1 support yet, so BB support handles questions for the G1)

Anyways, he tried to send me something which was supposed to put the phone number in that area for me, but it didn't work.

In the end, he had me remove the sim card from my G1, and install in back into my retired Blackberry. The blackberry allows you to manually enter your phone number. I entered my phone number with the Sim card in my Pearl, then removed the Sim card, reinserted it into the G1, and it now shows my phone number correctly in the Settings area!

Hope this might help some of you, if you happen to have an old Blackberry.

Upvote 0
I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with TMobile, Blackberry support (guess they don't have G1 support yet, so BB support handles questions for the G1)

Anyways, he tried to send me something which was supposed to put the phone number in that area for me, but it didn't work.

In the end, he had me remove the sim card from my G1, and install in back into my retired Blackberry. The blackberry allows you to manually enter your phone number. I entered my phone number with the Sim card in my Pearl, then removed the Sim card, reinserted it into the G1, and it now shows my phone number correctly in the Settings area!

Hope this might help some of you, if you happen to have an old Blackberry.
I'm wondering if he even knew what he was doing with the OTA tool. T-Mobile seriously needs to train their people on this problem as it's MUCH more widespread than I originally had thought.

In the next version of my app I'm going to check for this and display a message giving them instructions of what to do.

Upvote 0
My phone number was blank for about 2 days after I got the phone ( ~ 2 weeks ago). It simply appeared after a couple days of use.

The salesman at the store told me that it could take several days before all of the services were working. Not sure why that would be but at least he had had some training on that.
My guess is that they sent down that OTA SIM card flash. The phone doesn't alert you to it at all from what I can tell, it just happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones