• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just a quick question

tcuk31

Aug 6, 2010
I see there is an important update for flash player but it doesn't show as an update in the Market. Do I just install the new one and it replaces the old one anyway without taking up double amount of space? Also the twitter app that came on phone there is an uodate for that but again not showing as update in Market. Many thanks.

An app is an app, doesn't matter if it came pre-installed.
Only apps like the music player, clock etc are specific to the phone itself.

Apps such as twitter, flash, facebook etc are the same apps found in the market.
(Don't confuse them with all the spin-off twitter, facebook etc apps, i'm talking about the official ones)

If you select update, it should take you to the market place to update.
You won't get 2 copies, one will replace the other.

Upvote 0
Yes I know what apps are and which ones you can update and which ones are phone specific. I know how the Market works. If there was an update button to click then I wouldn't be asking the question. Do you have the desire hd? If so you should know what I'm on about as you must have faced what I am facing now. Can some one who has updated flash from the Market by installing the app as the option to update isn't available please let me know how it installs it. I.e over the top or as a separate version. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I see there is an important update for flash player but it doesn't show as an update in the Market. Do I just install the new one and it replaces the old one anyway without taking up double amount of space? Also the twitter app that came on phone there is an uodate for that but again not showing as update in Market. Many thanks.

Market > downloads - what's it say next to flash player & twitter?

Upvote 0
If I go to Market and downloads, flash and twitter aren't listed hence why I can't click update to the newer versions. That's the whole point of the question. Yes they are already installed on the phone as the phone comes with them. If I find them in the Market by searching apps I have the option to install but not update. There are others but they were just two examples.

Upvote 0
Then they're not installed according to the market. Just because they came pre-installed on the phone doesn't mean the market knows you have them, hence no update option.
Easiest way to do it is install the apps from the market, it will then see you have them already & replace with the market app.
After that you should get update messages when the new versions are put on to the market. These will now be listed in your downloads too.
I don't use twitter, facebook etc, but I can see that the versions i have on my phone are not the latest versions.

The market only knows what you've downloaded from it, not what's on your phone. This is not specific to any handset, but how it works for all android devices. But yes, I do have the dhd.

Some apps will check for updates upon launch, such as maps, but others don't, so the only way it knows is from what you've downloaded from the market already.

Upvote 0
I know the Market only knows what you've downloaded already that's why I was asking the question will it install another version or go over the top of the old one which you think it will which is all a wanted to know. Thank you. Have you not updated the flash in your device ready for gingerbread yet then?

Upvote 0
I know the Market only knows what you've downloaded already that's why I was asking the question will it install another version or go over the top of the old one which you think it will which is all a wanted to know. Thank you. Have you not updated the flash in your device ready for gingerbread yet then?

You clearly don't have a clue. Last time i answer one of your quick questions.

What were my last 5 words in my first reply to you?

Who said the latest flash update is for gingerbread. Nobody even knows if the DHD will get gingerbread.

Upvote 0
But the 3 words before said just click update and that was what I was getting at as is wasn't showing as update. I still dont think you quite understand but thanks for trying to help. I think you will find if you read the description of the update it's pretty clear what it's for as it's states it's to prepare it for future OS updates.

Upvote 0
But the 3 words before said just click update and that was what I was getting at as is wasn't showing as update. I still dont think you quite understand but thanks for trying to help. I think you will find if you read the description of the update it's pretty clear what it's for as it's states it's to prepare it for future OS updates.

No, I don't understand. How can you get so flummoxed by something so basic?

Still doesn't mean the dhd's getting gingerbread. THE MARKET IS FOR ALL ANDROID DEVICES, INCLUDING THE UP & COMING TABLETS. There's only one flash player, It's designed to work on all devices 2.2 & above.

Secondly, an update doesn't always mean a new OS version. Updates can mean improvements to the current OS. (There are reports of a 2.3 OS, yet gingerbread is reportedly 3.0 & designed for the tablet market)
All rumours i hasten to add.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't help.

Upvote 0
OK here is what you need to do (as I have done it to be sure I always get updates when released). Go through all the apps in your app drawer, and look each one up on the Market. If you find it there, but it does NOT say "Installed" then install it. What that does is overwrite the pre-installed app with the Market app even if it's the same version. No personal settings are lost or changed. Only the app is now "linked" to the Market allowing future updating to be possible.

Reactions: tcuk31
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones