Just a thought about updating firmware.

Last Updated:

1. croyde

croyde Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Orange branded Desire is unlocked so what's to stop me getting a Vodafone Sim and upgrading to Froyo or is it more complicated than that.

I'm sure it is.

Advertisement
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

because its orange branded, orange need to release their version of 2.2 OTA before you can upgrade, its not the sim card, but the branded rom on the phone that causes this I believe...

3. wellibob

wellibob Well-Known Member

get an iphone...... no seriously, look into debranding your phone or rooting. opens up endless possibilities :D

4. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

you could keep you sim, as the branding is not done via sim.

get the sdcard, take the data off it, format it, goldcard it, put the data back, flash the unbranded latest froyo release, put data back on card.

job done = rapid phone

takes about 10 mins for the entire process including making a gold card

5. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Like the others have said, you need to wait for Orange to release their own branded update or go with an generic ROM or root the phone. I'm running a generic HTC firmware ROM that comes without any branding and is the official version that HTC released for unbranded phones. This version removed the Telus branding from my Desire and allowed my phone to work on EDGE data networks which the Telus version had blocked for some demented reason.

This flash update file is available with installation instuctions right here on Android forums thanks to teppic74:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

You'll need to convert your memory card into a "goldcard" to run RUU update files, but there's a tool out there to help with that.
    :D

6. Kaliban

Kaliban Member