• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just an observation...

answerman

Android Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2010
Appleton, WI
History of (fictitious and paraphrased, but mostly accurate) forum posts I've seen during the past several years I have owned HTC phones:

February 2006: "What were they thinking? The battery life sucks on my PPC-6700! Why did I ever get rid of my flip phone?"

March 2008: "Well, geez. The battery life stinks on my PPC-6800. The 6700 was so much better."

July 2009: "The Touch Pro is a piece of crap! I NEVER had battery problems like this with my 6800!"

May 2010: "HTC really screwed this up. The Incredible has really lousy battery life. I want to go back to my Touch Pro... that battery would last forever!"

and now, from perusing the Thunderbolt forum...

March 2011: "I can't even use my Thunderbolt! I can't even get 4 hours out of the battery! My Incredible was great!"

:D

Seems like the battery always seems awful at first, but by the time you move to a new phone your old one was the best you ever had. Think maybe it's user error? I can't believe the battery gets better with age...

For the record, you can insert any combination of Evo/Droid/Galaxy and find the same sort of posts...

I can't wait for the first Bionic posts to show up complaining about the battery... ;)

For the record, my HTC smartphone history:
HTC PPC-6700 12-05 to 11-07 (Alltel)
HTC PPC-6800 11-07 to 6-09 (Alltel)
HTC Touch Pro 6-09 to 4-10 (Alltel)
HTC Incredible 4-10 to present (Verizon via Alltel takeover)

Seems like the battery always seems awful at first, but by the time you move to a new phone your old one was the best you ever had. Think maybe it's user error? I can't believe the battery gets better with age...

I completely agree. I've own 6800, touchpro, incredible, droid x and now thunderbolt. It's the same thing over and over - "battery sucks", "I can't use my phone" blah blah. After a few weeks/months, people learn how to manage battery and use their phone, and the complaints stop. Then the next phone comes out, people start to complain about battery life again. You think people will learn?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones