• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just asked verizon about data roaming

I switched to Verizon last November...I told them I would be in extended network 100% of the time...I was told by over 15 reps on the phone...and the in store rep that as long as I was in the US there would not be any charges for roaming...

Again...Ive been with them since November and have absolutely no problems or extra charges...

Upvote 0
so..my home is in an area where verizon will be roaming (or was last year when a friend had verizon here)...Sprint roams here too, but with sprint i found out, has a policy that if you don't make at least 50% of your calls from within the sprint network (not roaming) then they will probably cancel your contract with them. Living in a roaming area, that's not good. Is Verizon the same way? I'm referring to Greensburg, KY 42743 area. Oh and plus Sprint slaps that 300MB limit on their "unlimited data" plan while roaming.

Upvote 0
so..my home is in an area where verizon will be roaming (or was last year when a friend had verizon here)...Sprint roams here too, but with sprint i found out, has a policy that if you don't make at least 50% of your calls from within the sprint network (not roaming) then they will probably cancel your contract with them. Living in a roaming area, that's not good. Is Verizon the same way? I'm referring to Greensburg, KY 42743 area. Oh and plus Sprint slaps that 300MB limit on their "unlimited data" plan while roaming.

Verizon doesn't have a roaming cap. Roam as much as you want as long as your in the United States.

Upvote 0
My Incredible just recently ran an update and after it was completed I noticed that data roaming's default was now set to "ON". By the way this update also wiped out all history and contacts. Luckily I had it backed up. Verizon may have the "best" network but I don't trust them to look out for their customer's best interest for one second!

Upvote 0
Hogwash. Roaming on sprint is free in US. Been doing it for YEARS .
Back to my hole....

I wish I was in the sprint network...but there isn't coverage in my area...

Straight from their site...

Enjoy no additional charges for roaming in this expanded coverage area, reaching more than 280 million people, as long as less than half of your monthly call time is used while roaming. Sprint may terminate service if more than half of the minutes in a given month are used while roaming off the Sprint Nationwide PCS Network.

So yes...it is free roaming...as long as you follow their rules about it...

Upvote 0
There was a story a year ago about a guy getting a $10,000 roaming bill because his phone roamed to a connection on a nearby Cruise ship.

We're taking a cruise to Alaska in a couple days and roaming on the ship is $2.49 a minute for voice and $20.48/MB for data via MCP. :eek:

Can I change System select to "home only" to disable roaming on the ship or will that cause problem at home?

I assume I'm ok in Alaska, but there's a couple of days spent in Canada too. I have the 550 minute Nationwide family share plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones