Just became an owner of a HERO

1. Angry Gimp

Angry Gimp Member

Alright so my younger brother just gave me his old Hero to replace my even older BB while I decide if I wait a bit to decide if I wanna use my upgrade on the 3D or Galaxy II. Well to say that he was abusive to this little droid would be an understatement. He thought he had lost it a few months ago so he went into the Sprint store and bought the newest phone out(to him newest most expensive = best), which just happen to be that double screen Echo. Then a couple of days later he found the Hero and for some reason decided to stick it on the dash of his car and leave it there. So for a couple of months it has sit there until this weekend when i was bitching about my BB locking up 7 or 8 times a day he told me I could have his Hero.

So I got it today and I am wondering if the battery is supposed to be flat like every other phone battery I've ever seen or rounded and bulging on one side so that I can barely get the battery cover back over it. It was completely drained, but I stuck it on a charger and turned it on after a few minutes and it turns on.

Guess after all of this I'm just wondering if I should replace the battery or if this is how this batter should look. I asked him and he has no idea if it was like that before, hell he still had it stock with all of the bloatware stock sprint apps shortcuts on there. He's not the tech guy I am.

If the battery does need to be replace has anyone had any luck with those $4 replacement batteries on amazon? I don't really want to spend much on something that I'm only going to use for a couple of months.

Thanks and I'm sure you'll see more of me cause I plan on rooting(my first) this thing as soon as I get it charged or replace the battery and get it activated on my acct.

Advertisement
    :
  2. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

I think the heat destroyed your battery. They are usually very flat. As far as replacing it with a cheapie, if you don't plan on keeping the phone for long, I would give it a shot, it can't hurt. Good luck.;)
  3. Angry Gimp

Angry Gimp Member

Well I left it after the above post in the car charging while I went to watch a movie and came out and it was 75% charged. Guess the only worry now is it exploding on me. Gonna read on here to figure out how to wipe all the data since it's still got all of his stuff that wasn't on the SD card.
  4. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Angry Gimp likes this.
  5. Angry Gimp

Angry Gimp Member

Thanks again, got new battery ordered but in the mean time I'm rooted, tooted and ready to rock!
  6. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Like 330D said, heat is the worst enemy to a battery. A bulging battery means that a chemical reaction has occurred due to some internal leak which can be hazardous to both you and your handset.

I recommend removing that battery as soon as you can. There are plenty of decent replacement batteries to be found online for the Sprint HTC Hero, but just be sure to read the reviews first before purchasing one.